• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

3d cockpits seem pretty easy to make no ODF seems required either.

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, August 11, 2009, 01:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I made my first 3d cockpit for my aircraft carrier, and after I realized I named the model file name wrong as it didn't appear in game. I renamed the file to match the odf entry and it appeared okay. I have a few questions about how they're made like can they be attached to an existing model, or do they always need to be a separate model?

I had a lot of problems trying to figure out how to make them from scratch. It's difficult to imagine what each should look like based on the part of the model where the pilot should occupy. Could someone suggest a tips when designing a 3d cockpit? It would seem that designing the cockpit should start in the same workspace as the target model. Seems easy enough right? Then when I tried making it that's where the headaches began; trying to make it look open yet not overwhelming the view in game. What finally worked for me was making a cube, then stretching it and adding new edges, then using the create hollow object tool, and finally using the object subtraction tool to crave out the window pieces.

Would it be easier to simply create a (single-sided) planar object elevate it vertically and shape the cockpit from that single object? Tanks BNG. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Rocket

cockpit geometry is a separate model that is added on top of what you see out of the eyepoint of your ship.

So, yes, it is a separate file.
Hidden Defenders Mod

BNG Da BZ Fool

Getting the eyepoint positioned right is a real pain, and making the cockpit piece seems to take a lot of redos when viewed in the map editor ocupying the model with 3d cockpit on. What I'm trying to now is make it out of a single one-sided plane with openings for the cockpit windows. I use the draw geometry tool to draw the windows on the plane, and then go back and delete them to form the openings. Does anyone have any tips on how to position the eyepoint correctly? Tanks, BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.