• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Quick question about 3d cockpit alinement?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, August 13, 2009, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I made a decent generic 3d cockpit named ivunit_cockpit.xsi. The parts list is viewz for the cockpit part and hp_eyepoint_1, but when I use the cockpit it never centers up right with the weapons sight. Why?
It looks right in my 3d modeler, but on an actual ship it's always off-center? Does the cockpit reference of the eyepoint hp which is named hp_eyepoint on the actual model? Kind of has me stumped as to what to adjust to get the 3d cockpit lined up right. Tanks BNG. PS: Would renaming the model eyepoint to hp_eyepoint_1 correct the issue?

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I figured out that my eyepoint aline was really off, so I merged the end vertices to a point and then moved the eyepoint forward to line up better and wala it was centered much better. Can the _2g thingy be used to further make the cockpit more transparent? Any ways it looks much better now. The whole cockpit is basically just 4 swept surfaces. I'd like to add a bit more detail, but still keep the 3d view clean and uncluttered. Can anyone suggest some visual elements I might add to make the cockpit a bit more complete? Tanks, BNG.

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Rocket

you could add a cool looking control panel to the bottom there..  :-)
Hidden Defenders Mod

mrtwosheds

QuoteCan the _2g thingy be used to further make the cockpit more transparent?
Not well, I would not use transparency's at all on a cockpit (from the inside). It will interfere with the appearance of other game elements too much.
just a simple framework of solid material and a cool looking dashboard is all that is really needed. I experimented with transparent textures to try and make a Dalek "Cockpit" , the view from an eyestalk! They all looked awful and the transparency just ruined the graphic clarity for the rest of the game content. A subtle movement animation for the cockpit is a very good idea though.

bb1

Quote from: BNG Da BZ Fool on August 13, 2009, 06:34:11 PMCan anyone suggest some visual elements I might add to make the cockpit a bit more complete? Tanks, BNG.

A texture  :-D

BNG Da BZ Fool

The texture sounds good, but a control just clutters the otherwise open design. Perhaps I could place control panel elements on the texture instead.

anomaly

Well you could put in some minimal textured panels that only surround, say, the radar and weapon selection/health bar so that those elements look like they are built into the cockpit.  Done right, it would only obscure some small areas in the bottom left and right corners.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Not bad...only bummer would be that they wouldn't move with the cockpit piece, but a simple flat floating panel somewhere within the open area might look good. From what I've done so far shows me that 3d cockpits are basically simple 2d objects that enhance an otherwise bland open area with only the weapon sight usually visible. I've really started focusing on refining my models a bit more with standard elements like unit icons, wire frame images and simple 3d cockpits. I'll reward the first person that can teach me how to texture models the easy way? The reward would be a box of delicious melt-in your-mouth Karma Bars? Please excuse the pun, but I couldn't resist; seriously, I really need some help making sense of painting 2d stuff on a 3d surface. 2d to 2d I get, but applying textures to a 3d model makes my brain ache. BNG.

bb1

If you were using 3DS, I would tell you to just unwrap UVW (uwv??/hehh...), throw some images in the matedit, and have at it. That's the easy way to me anyway, and the only way I know. Seems to be much harder than I make it out to be seeing as how much fear it strikes into some.

BNG Da BZ Fool

TS, has a similar UV unwrap utility, but I've never been able to get away with a single texture map as the result of a UV texture map exported to an external paint program. I may have to do it with multiple textures rather then a single file. What I've done with some fair results is create/apply textures to individual model parts rather then a single file for the whole model itself.

I guess if I'm going to have to figure it out for myself then this seems like the most practical solution for getting textures on my model. Can BZ handle more then one texture per model? A single file may be preferable, but some of us may never truly figure out how to do it all on one silly texture file especially considering that just about every 3d modeler typically supports multiple textures and layers as well. BNG.   

mrtwosheds

You just uvmap the object, and then rearrange the shapes to fit on the texture, then you make the texture using the exported uv texture as a guide.

bb1

Quote from: mrtwosheds on August 19, 2009, 04:07:22 PM
You just uvmap the object, and then rearrange the shapes to fit on the texture, then you make the texture using the exported uv texture as a guide.

+1

Rocket

QuoteCan BZ handle more then one texture per model?

well, i've used 8 different textures on some models.

like:

the cockpit, the main body, secondary geometry, misc, flames.... etc...

i believe it does slow down the computer the more textures you have though, but i haven't noticed anything yet really.
Hidden Defenders Mod

Nielk1

There must be 1 pass per texture. And the effect is not that noticeable unless you get ridiculous.

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

And if your smart, those multiple textures are also used on many other objects, bringing the overall load down.