• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Bridge bug in Scion mission

Started by Josh Echo, August 21, 2009, 05:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Echo

In the mission where the player, as a Scion, must defend Major Manson's base from ISDF attacks, there is a bridge which you are ordered to destroy.  Unfortunately, destroying this bridge and all nearby enemy units does not trigger the event which, I presume, it is supposed to trigger.  The objective is not marked as completed.  After some time the enemy sends a force to Major Manson's recycler, which is destroyed by a script even if the enemies never shoot at it.

Axeminister

This has been reported before for the newest patches and I've found that if you go back to your base after the bridge is destroyed then press "O" to read the mission objectives, then go to Mansons base, things pick up again.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Josh Echo

Hmm.  That didn't work.  The same thing happened as the last dozen or so times I've restarted this mission.  I blow the bridge, the objective doesn't change, I sit around with no orders until I get the "Base under attack" message.  In this case, it's Manson's base under attack, not mine.  Whether I am in his base or not, the result is the same.  Enemy units swarm his base, and even when I keep them occupied so that they are not shooting at Manson's recycler, the recycler is suddenly destroyed.

Zero Angel

Well normally you are supposed to do this mission in order:

1) Set up your base
2) You are given an order to attack a bridge, so you must destroy it as well as the forces around it
3) You are given an order to defend manson's base, so you would send most of your units to his base until the enemy has exhausted their forces
4) WIN!

If you do any of these out of step, then its gonna cause problems.

But its possible that you mightve run into a bug. Just open the console (ctrl + `) and type in game.cheat bzwinner. The singleplayer bugs will be ironed out by the time that 1.3 is out of beta.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Vid

Let's not give up on doing the mission just yet.

What version are you playing?  Is it TA5?  Is the bridge in pristine health with 1 assault tank near it when you arrive or is it smoldering in the redzone, half destroyed?  Did you personally go visit Manson's base before the bridge step was updated?

Turns out I've posted about this in the Bug section of TA5.  Manson's base in this version does a wonderful job of assaulting the bridge before you ever get up there....  too wonderful.  There is a mission script that has to play out here that is not getting a chance to because of your speed.  What I want you to do is get a stopwatch of some other way to measure 60 seconds.  Now that you've got that, play the mission until you are ordered to go destroy the bridge.  Now let's just sit in your base for 60 seconds before you go up there, okay?
Now go destroy that bridge and the 2 scripted Assault tanks coming from the northwest.  Those A-tanks weren't there before, were they?

Because you destroy the bridge so quickly, the A-Tanks never start their run, which screws up the computer into thinking you never took them out... which... causes the "overwhelming force" script to trigger and Manson's recycler to go boom.

If I sound weird writing this, its because I'm half awake with the urge to go back to sleep.

Josh Echo

I'm playing version 1.3.  The first eleven or so times I've played the mission, I arrive and three of Major Manson's Sabers are there staring at the remaining half of the bridge.  The last time I played, I was fairly close to the bridge when I got the order to take it out, and this time I got there in time to see my allies take out the first section.  However, I did have to return to base for more ammunition, which took a lot of time.  When I got back, there was indeed an enemy assault tank (I'd never seen one near the bridge before).  Unfortunately, the allied recycler was destroyed by other units.  I'm not sure if it was the scripted event, or if I missed the other assault tanks which should have been with the one I destroyed.

bb1

Wait till the order by Shab to go and defend the base. Else the recycler will recycle itself.

Vid

I wouldn't advise even going to the bridge at all until 60seconds after you are told to and the target is put on your screen.  Going up there early if you get too close to manson's base will set off the fail script and cause the enemy A-Tanks to come in.

Play through normally and don't leave your base very far at all until 60 seconds after you are told to take out the bridge.  In previous versions you could go up there immediately because the bridge took a while to whittle down when it had 5 full sections and an Assault tank parked on the right side of it.  However most of the time in TA5, the A-tank is dead and half the bridge is missing.  60seconds after the order is given is when two additional A-Tanks come from the northwest and start moving down towards the bridge to cross it.  I'm not sure how far past the bridge they have to get to make the mission fail, but they have to be on the way to the bridge for them to stay on course for the base.  If they aren't already incoming they poof and you get no update for killing them.

The order updates when you kill those 2 scripted A-Tanks from the northwest(not the 4 A-Tank fail script), and destroy the bridge.  They actually come from more North than west.

Mr X

Actually, I was just playing this mission and had no problems at all depite going to the bridges the moment I recieved the order, its was easier than in previous versions because Manson's sabres were taking out stuff coming over the bridge and all I needed was a mauler to take out the one A-tank that got over, I actually think that the sabres would've been fine taking out the bridge alone and then would've possibly taken that assault tank out by themselves.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Rocket

i believe shabayev's order to go defend manson's base was that you should bring a scion builder to the location, not go there personally...
Hidden Defenders Mod

Vid

Quote from: Mr X on August 22, 2009, 11:44:29 AM
Actually, I was just playing this mission and had no problems at all depite going to the bridges the moment I recieved the order, its was easier than in previous versions because Manson's sabres were taking out stuff coming over the bridge and all I needed was a mauler to take out the one A-tank that got over, I actually think that the sabres would've been fine taking out the bridge alone and then would've possibly taken that assault tank out by themselves.

You destroyed the bridge and the 1 A-tank on the east bank(closer to manson's base) and that objective updated?  Because I've always had to destroy the 2 on the west bank(incoming from the north after the bridge is ordered to be destroyed) + the bridge to get the update.

For whatever reason, now that I've tried this again, the A-Tanks come rolling out ontime for me and not 45-60seconds later.  However the fact of the matter still stands....  You need to destroy the bridge and the A-Tank on the east bank(may get destroyed by Manson, but this tank is stationary and does not move much) and the 2 A-Tanks coming in on an attack run from the northwest.  If for whatever reason these 3 A-Tanks are not destroyed along with the bridge... you will lose.

Red Spot

I had the same problem, I got around it by racing to the bridge as soon as the objective to destroy it has been given. At that point I was around when the AAN-forces knocked out the bridge and the objective was updated properly. (If I waited a bit, say to get in that mauler myself, the objective would not update.)
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Josh Echo

Thanks for the advice, Vid.  I managed to beat the mission.

Vid

Basically there is a scout and an A-Tank there "holding" the bridge,  and then the 2 A-Tanks that come from the north on the west bank for an attack run.  I forgot about mentioning the scout.  It's just that Manson's forces seem to do a much better job in 1.3 than in 1.2.

Now you have the fun of playing the next mission where the enemy will send constant heavy assault forces at you + has a bomber.

Mr X

That was there originally though.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!