• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Music for the 1.3 Community Project

Started by sabrebattletank, August 26, 2009, 12:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

In real game and movie design music, VOs, and finished movies come LAST. Trying to do them earlier just makes wasted effort and time as things change.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

Well, are we Hollywood or are we an independent movie studio?

Ok, fine. We won't decide anything.

Nielk1

My point is that is what years of experience has them do.

Click on the image...

Mr X

Its true, if you say, did a cutscene, and then want to change the colour of some units, you'd have to redo the cutscene.
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

AHadley

We would need to know what kind of atmosphere we are going for before we decide on what music to use. I personally think we should be going for a much darker effect than BZ2, closer to BZ1 if anything. I would recommend using classical music if possible, strings being the ideal family because they are so versatile and can convey anything. Watch any decent film and you'll find that most of the soundtrack is played by strings. We would also need to convey anger, hate, tension, possibly more emotions than I can name in a short post. Of course, aside from the main negative emotions, we would also need music to convey the short-lived romance between Adam and Eve.

Of course, composing and recording this music would be difficult. However, Half-Life 2 modder Fakefactory (who made the quite controversial Cinematic Mod) used an almost entirely string-based soundtrack in CM, which is strikingly more effective than the dance/electro/trance/rock fusion that Kelly Bailey composed. The music was entirely taken from copyright-free soundtrack teasers and the like, and he has had no problems with it. It makes the game incredibly atmospheric.

In short, that is what I suggest we do.

And may I add that it has just hit me how truly epic this mod is going to be.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are about to eclipse every installment in the entire Battlezone saga.

Hadley out.

GSH

And may I add that it has just hit me how truly epic this mod is going to be.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are about to eclipse every installment in the entire Battlezone saga.

Talk is cheap. Releases aren't.

When you finish a mod -- and last I checked, the planning is still not even close to being finished -- you can speak up like this.

-- GSH

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

GSH

Take a lesson from me: when I implemented DX9, I didn't go boasting about anything. I kept quiet, and worked. Only 2-3 testers knew what was in development before I sprung the first private patches on them. (Though, anyone who'd looked at my wish list online would have gotten warning even before pb4a released. Anything that's on the first page of a google search I consider to be public knowledge.)

Remember this rule: underpromise & overdeliver.

-- GSH

Mr X

I've been thinking about something, the new community project might entice more players onto the 1.3 patches. Fingers crossed anyway.  :-)
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

GSH

Given what's been proposed -- "more of everything ever done in a mod, and done even better" -- I suspect it'll be a long while before things release.

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

QuoteAnd may I add that it has just hit me how truly epic this mod is going to be.

Hadley out.

Don't count on it!!

It may be better than any other mods that are now released or in development... but I have plans to make a mod that is better than any other mod that has ever been made by anyone... EVER!! For any game!!

QuoteRemember this rule: underpromise & overdeliver.

I have... and plan to.

Quote from: Mr X on August 30, 2009, 06:57:43 AM
I've been thinking about something, the new community project might entice more players onto the 1.3 patches. Fingers crossed anyway.  :-)

It should. Didn't FE get more players into 1.2?
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Rocket

Hidden Defenders Mod

Retroboy

Hi, all. Retro here. Was one of the principal initial organizers of BZ2:FE.

On music: my suggestion is also to hold off on decisions at this point, at least until the atmosphere of the mod is locked in. The music should match the major plot direction. Always good to discuss, but I wouldn't recommend devoting significant energy to it.

To see my point, boot up the original Battlezone and listen to the martial title track. It's a perfect fit for that game because it nails the setting and narration.

technoid

Woah, Retro, haven't seen ya in awhile (since the Pandi forum and BZ2CP1 days).  Welcome back.  :D