• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The Mod Squad

Started by Red Devil, September 17, 2009, 11:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

Subtitle: It's a Mod Mod Mod Mod World...

It seems that a lot of people are making a mod now-a-days and I think that is causing a fracturing of the community.  :-(

I think it does that because creating a mod introduces a bias towards that mod or a reluctance/resistance to try mods made by others, as if doing so would somehow either contaminate their own mod or expose its weaknesses.  :?

It may also be due to vanity or one-upmanship ('Nobody can do as good a work as me.' or 'I can do better than that.')   :evil:

The end result will be modders isolated on their own little modding island, wondering why no one else is playing their mod.   :cry:

Me, I'm as guilty as any other, so I'm going to go try SRV, QFMod, XMod, etc.  Well, right after I finish up with G66...  :lol:
What box???

Clavin12

What do you suggest we do?
C l a v i n 1 2

VSMIT

I'd like to see SRV coupled with the difficulty of G66.  That would be quite interesting.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Nielk1

I have my fingers in far to many places to be that isolated, but I must say I don't 'play' much at all. But yes, QF mod is GREAT. SRV with G66? SHUDDER...

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

I know what you mean, about being reluctant to try other peoples Mods when you are making one yourself.
I want mine to have its own identity, So I avoid other in development mods in case I get tempted to copy their ideas, or worse just use their stuff.
There is also the matter of ensuring my install is clean, so as to avoid becoming confused.
And I am very isolated in this Dalek labor camp...   :cry:

Nielk1

I personally love new ideas. I take ideas from all over and re-implement them in a very wide way. Because of the way I do DLLs for example things I see in QF like the shuttle turrets become ODF controlled, multi option, works on many things, modders of my mod can easily use, monsters.

Click on the image...

Red Devil

What box???

Nielk1

Quote from: Red Devil on September 17, 2009, 02:45:30 PM
Uhhhhh....what?

I took an idea from BBB's mod, something MTS wants to avoid, and vastly improved it to the point it practically became like an engine option via DLL modifications. Had I not played QFmod, I would have never seen that and likely never formed the idea to improve it thusly as I did.

Click on the image...

iron maiden

i myself don't play many mods because as long as its battlezone, its fine by me. I do however think it may be a good idea to create a category in which people can post ideas and demo's of thier own mods to get a general idea of what the community want's. Sort of like a mini community project except for a mod, i know i have a few ideas i would like to pitch, being as it i know NOTHING ABOUT DLL, scripting, modeling or any complicated things.
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Red Devil on September 17, 2009, 11:19:05 AM
It may also be due to vanity or one-upmanship ('Nobody can do as good a work as me.' or 'I can do better than that.')   :evil:

The end result will be modders isolated on their own little modding island, wondering why no one else is playing their mod.   :cry:

1) - That basically sums me up completely.

2) - That basically sums me up completely.

:lol:

Modding is the best thing that could ever happen in the community.

It pretty much keeps the game alive.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Clavin12

I think what he's saying is that we need to be more of a community and play eachothers mods more often.
C l a v i n 1 2

Feared_1

Quote from: bigbadbogie on September 17, 2009, 03:32:58 PM
It pretty much keeps the game alive.

Until there is no one to play the mods, and the modders just use it as playdough.

bb1

To be honest, I never thought QF mod was so great, especially after seeing the works of others..

bigbadbogie

QF's strengths are it's DLL scripting and gameplay... not the visual appeal of it's models and maps. This is something I have rectified in FS2.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

bb1