• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

skins won't stick to vehicle

Started by Josiah, September 25, 2009, 03:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josiah

Preamble: Hi, it's nice to be here, but I have no idea if anyone has asked the same question, so I'll go ahead and ask it...

I have a tad of a problem, you might say. I imported several ships from another game, by using 3ds max 2010, stuck the skins on, and exported to xsi. Works fine, with one problem. The dadgum skins won't stick, and I'm relatively new to this kind of stuff, so I'd like to know what I am doing wrong. this is what I do, in order:

open 3ds max 2010
import file (.vdf)
clean up excess parts(unwanted)
create EYEPOINT and HP_COM_01
open material editor
in "DirectX manager"(at bottom), beside "[] Enable plugin material"(which is checked) I select from the list of none, lightmap, and metal bump9, the metal bump9 option
in "DirectX Shader - Metal Bump9", choose "Texture 1" from the sub-box "Ambient & Diffuse", and pick my texture(in this case, avapc.tga, 16bit, and it is in the addon folder)
save as .max file
export to BzII compatible .xsi
copy xsi to addon
create this file:

[GameObjectClass]
baseName = "avapc"
geometryName = "avapc.xsi"
classLabel = "apc"
collisionRadius = 7.0
scrapValue = 20
scrapCost = 50
customCost = 80
buildTime = 20.0
customTime = 20.0
maxHealth = 3000
maxAmmo = 0
unitName = "TestAPC"
aiName = "APCProcess"
heatSignature = 10.0
imageSignature = 0.5
radarSignature = 0.0
isAssault = 1
hasPilot = 1

canSnipe = 1

armorClass = L

requireCount = 2
requireName1 = "ibfact"
requireText1 = "Build Factory"
requireName2 = "ibtrain"
requireText2 = "Build Training"

boxCollide = 1

[CraftClass]
rangeScan = 200.0
periodScan = 0.0
velocJam = 0.0

braccelFactor = 0.05f;
strafeFactor = 0.1f;
steerFactor = 1.0f;
omegaFactor = 0.2f;
velFactor = 0.2f;

avoidSpeed = 20;
topSpeed = 30;

selectWaitMsg = "avapcva.wav"
selectDropoffMsg = "avapcvf.wav"
selectPickupMsg = "avapcvg.wav"
selectOtherMsg = "avapcvj.wav"

goMsg = "avapcv0.wav"
attackMsg = "avapcv9.wav"
followMsg = "avapcvh.wav"
followMeMsg = "avapcv3.wav"
repairMsg = "avapcv4.wav"
recycleMsg = "avapcv6.wav"
rescueMsg = "avapcv5.wav"
otherMsg = "avapcvh.wav"

deployedMsg = "avapcv2.wav"
diedMsg = "abetty3.wav"

[HoverCraftClass]
setAltitude = 1.5
accelDragStop = 4.0
accelDragFull = 1.0
alphaTrack = 10.0
alphaDamp = 3.0
pitchPitch = 0.5
pitchThrust = 0.1
rollStrafe = 0.1
rollSteer = 0.1

velocForward = 15.0
velocReverse = 15.0
velocStrafe = 15.0
accelThrust = 50.0
accelBrake = 50.0
omegaSpin = 2.0
omegaTurn = 1.0
alphaSteer = 5.0
accelJump = 150.0

soundThrust = "iapc02.wav"
soundSteer = "avapce5.wav"
soundDeploy = "iapc04.wav"
soundUndeploy = "avapc30.wav"

[APCClass]
soldierType = "issold"
soldierCount = 5
soldierDelay = 1.0
timeDeploy = 2.0
flightAltitude = 5.0

open BzII, open random IA misn, hit ctrl-e(accept lic. agr.)
hit object tab
type avapc into Config box
click to place vehicle
VEHICLE IS PINK!!!! AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!
looks very non-combative, will probably not strike fear in the hearts of those who see it

Would anyone mind telling me what I'm doing wrong please? BTW, vehicle functions properly, despite pink color

AHadley

Check the texture is referenced in the XSI file through notepad.

Aah! blue text on blue background! :lol:

Warfreak

Anyone who uses 3DS Max, would you please direct your attention to this topic. I am unable to explain this well enough.

bigbadbogie

Some sections of this tutorial should explain how to do it properly:

http://www.bz2md.com/fishdotxsi/model.htm
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Rocket

you must make sure the pixel size of the texture is combatable with bz2.

(1x1/2x2/4x4/8x8/16x16/32x32/64x64/128x128/256x256/512x512 etc etc etc......)
Hidden Defenders Mod

VSMIT

The only material types that will work in BZ2 via the 3DS Max exporter are diffuse maps.  If you want other maps included, you'll have to bake them to a single texture and apply that to the diffuse map slot.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Nielk1

My first though is to get the PIC plugin for photshop and convert WHATEVER texture you are using to that format. Do note that MAX cannot use the PIC file, but it is the absolute BEST for BZ2 (aside from BZ2DXT which you will later convert the PIC too) if you get the PIC plugin for Photoshop/PaintshopPro from BZScrap.

I personally edit the XSI I export from max from .png or .bmp or .psd or .jpg or whatever I used when working on the model in max to .pic so that my 3D viewers that can handle PICs associate the correct texture file and I can see any slight issues that might arise.

What is the game of origin for the sake of my curiosity, and what is their view on your use of their model in another game? (Such a peon small following of a game that this is, they still care sometimes when assets come over here, so just a word of caution.)

EDIT: Ahh, VDF, BZ1. I stopped converting BZ1 models shortly after I started so I didn't remember.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

Edited your post a little to make it easier on the eyes... i generally couldn't read it.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

plus the nsdf apc is already in BZ2  :evil:

*****General BlackDragon*****

Nielk1

Quote from: TheJamsh on September 26, 2009, 03:52:57 AM
Edited your post a little to make it easier on the eyes... i generally couldn't read it.

OK, that was for his, but what the hell did you edit mine for? And what the hell did you change?

Click on the image...

AHadley

I keep editing peoples posts by accident because "Modify" is right where "Quote" used to be. Globmod powers take some getting used to. Maybe he did the same?

TheJamsh

just a mispelling lol (grammar nazi)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

VSMIT

His problem is thus:
Quote from: Josiah on September 25, 2009, 03:51:18 PM
open material editor
in "DirectX manager"(at bottom), beside "[] Enable plugin material"(which is checked) I select from the list of none, lightmap, and metal bump9, the metal bump9 option
in "DirectX Shader - Metal Bump9", choose "Texture 1" from the sub-box "Ambient & Diffuse", and pick my texture(in this case, avapc.tga, 16bit, and it is in the addon folder)

The solution is thus:
Quote from: VSMIT on September 25, 2009, 06:35:27 PM
The only material types that will work in BZ2 via the 3DS Max exporter are diffuse maps.  If you want other maps included, you'll have to bake them to a single texture and apply that to the diffuse map slot.

Are we done here?
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Josiah

Quote from: VSMIT

Are we done here?

yup, thanks guys!