• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Gamespy servers appear to be down

Started by GSH, September 16, 2008, 11:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

The gamespy matchmaking servers appear to be having 'issues' -- where they show no games at all, not even any of the advertising sessions. Gamespy has had similar issues in the past, and it's cleared up. After a few hours. I hope that's what'll happen, but no guarantees.

As noted in nettips.rtf, Gamespy is merely a matchmaking service, where it tells prospective clients the list of servers. Once a client gets the server's IP address, Gamespy stays out of the picture. JoinIP should still work.

-- GSH

Feared_1

How are we going to pass out IPs securely so we can play games? Is anyone hosting right now?

Nielk1

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Make a temporary -IP- subforum and give only trustworthy people access.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Michael

I suggest we use hamachi. That way no IP's would be given out. But would that slow bz2 down going through the ham servers?

Killer AK

i tried lan party through hamachi it didn't work.
you can rewrite the code and use the bz1 servers that is what i would use but it probably will be hooked back up and all will be forgotten.

Feared_1

I want to play a game, anyone up for one? I'll PM my IP to trustworthy people who want a game as well.

SteveLord

Hamachi works. Its the only way I've been playing this game with my brother.

You have to use an older version of Hamachi because newer ones have less compatibility with games...especially older ones.

Look for version 1.0.1.5

Feared_1

Are other Gamespy supported games down?

EDIT: Battlefield 2 (looking at their forums) is acting funny too. It's displaying a bunch of games with 0 ping, and you can't see who's in it until you join. I don't know if they use GameSpy too but if they do, I'm glad that more than one game is affected.

SteveLord

Gamespy is crap.

While BF2 is "powered" by it, it doesn't use the program itself.

Sonic

Out of curosity, but why are you so worried about your IPs aside from them being associated with your username? Gamespy reports the IPs to the BZ2 client in the description box. It isn't like we have anonymous IP hosting going on here.

On the other hand, if the only issue is associating an IP with say Feared_1 or Michael, have a post with IPs that are hosting but don't say WHO is hosting them.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

Feared_1

People have complained before that posting IP's is wrong. I was a little confused about that myself, but I thought I would just conform to the rest of the people :P

Too late for a game tonight, though, maybe GS will be back up in the morning.

Sonic

Well, I can see posting IPs being wrong but good at the same time. We have blacklists for mail servers and there is even a site that has a list of known IP and e-mail addresses used by spamers/idiots on forums. There is even a mod in the works for SMF that can check your IP against a blacklist while you are registering. There really isn't true anonymous on the internet anymore, but I suppose it's still a good thing to keep the IPs to those who know how to use them wisely rather than to those who would flat out abuse them.

shane ward

By posting IP, it will make it easyer for a hacker to gain entry to someones computer.

On a further note, I have been unable to find out any more information on this issue also.... I just hope that they are upgreading servers or something.......

Shane
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

Sonic

Quote from: shane ward on September 17, 2008, 04:47:44 AM
By posting IP, it will make it easier for a hacker to gain entry to someones computer.

That's bullcrap! There are only a finite amount of IPs and a hacker can attack anyone of them. They can even get a general idea of WHERE they are attacking based on who owns the IP range at the time (Mesa Community College for example). The only thing posting an IP will do, if anything, is allow an attacker to know WHO they are attacking. I suppose in some sense if you know the person well that might give you an edge when attempting to hack, but most of the time it does not really aid the attacker other than "I know who it is I'm attacking".