• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Did bz1 have something bz2 did not?

Started by cheesepuffly, November 25, 2008, 01:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky_foot

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 26, 2008, 01:39:49 PM
To point out, 1.3pb4a IS NOT A MOD, it is A PATCH.

And just for GSH, the more percise description is a unofficial patch. Don't call Activision or Pandemic for repairs. :D
Jonathan S.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

BS-er

For me BZ1 has a "cool" factor more than stock BZ2.  It's a combination of the VO dialog, storyline, sounds effects, unit skins, handling characteristics, many things really.  BZ2 has a number of saving graces though, as any semi-respectable sequel should.

Nielk1

Quote from: Dx on November 26, 2008, 04:46:53 PM
Even 1.2 wasn't approved of by Activision, 1.1 is the only official patch from the publisher.

And yet 1.2 is a patch.

Yes, BZ1 had a great atmosphere.
I hate the way BZ2 goes from Fire Planet to Jungle Planet to Ice Planet.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

And here we go again. Another completely inane fight.

The 1.3 patches modify the sourcecode, and were made by the original developers.

THEY ARE PATCHES!!! There is no logical way around that Dx.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Steeveeo

According to Doom modding utilities (yes they still exist), and the original DOS version (IIRC), mods are referred to as Patch Wads (PWADs).

Technically, all a patch is, official or not, is a change in how the software functions. Mods do the same thing, and more often than not,just on a less core level, and therefore removable without reinstalling.

So, with this reasoning, I deduce that both parties are right and wrong, and no fighting is needed.

So shut up now! :P

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Nielk1

"A patch is a small piece of software designed to fix problems with or update a computer program or its supporting data. This includes fixing bugs, replacing graphics and improving the usability or performance."

Hence FE is a mod with several patches. Hence 1.3 is a patch. Hence BZE is a patch.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

BzE is a patch to Battlezone.

Enhancement = Fix = Patch.

My BZ2 mods:

I would have to define BZE, 1.2 and 1.3 as patches to an existing engine regardless of their support or recognition by the official Developer or Publisher.  The fact that two of them were done with the blessings of the Developer by two of the original coders doesn't make them official, and the fact that one was done by someone unaffiliated with either the original Developer or Publisher doesn't change that it's patched code.

A mod takes assets and changes them, a patch takes the engine and changes it.  Modders don't normally have that level of access.

Also, as a point brought up earlier, I thought GSH stated that Pandemic holds the copyright for Battlezone II and can still use/modify the assets.  They no longer have the right to use the name for new work, and Activision no longer has the right to publish something using the name, but the actual product will belong to Pandemic for what?  100 years or some other time period ridiculous in the age of computers... 

Anyway... Back on track.

One more thing BZ1 had that nobody's mentioned...  it was the newest thing in it's time...  it's listed as one of the first true hardware accelerated 3D games, along with being the first true action/strategy hybrids, and was bundled with 3D cards by a lot of manufacturers to show off their capabilities.  I know compared with the detail in Doom, Doom2, Quake, etc. when I first played them BZ2 looked amazingly crisp, clean, and fast.

BZ1 smacked me in the face, made me buy new hardware to play, and made a lasting impression on what I thought a good game was made of.  No sequel can do that, it's something that can only happen once.

-Av-

AHadley

Ah... they aren't monotone. They can have up to four layers and as many colours as you want.

Warfreak

I would like to note that BZ1 has better shadows in general AND doesn't look as cartoony as BZ2 does with the texture colors. (orange uniform makes for an easy kill in deep black space)  :-D

Nielk1

Its sad that any topic concerning BZ1 become some sort of small unsolicited war.

Click on the image...

AHadley

To repeat what I said on BZ2MD not a moment ago...

SHUT UP, ALL OF YOU!