• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Co-Op Campaign?

Started by TheJamsh, July 02, 2009, 05:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you interested in a co-op campaign option?

Definitely!
14 (56%)
Yes, but only on some missions.
4 (16%)
I'm not sure yet.
0 (0%)
No, it's too much effort.
3 (12%)
No, I'm just not interested.
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

TheJamsh

Seems the latest fashion at the moment is co-operative campaigns.

It wouldn't be hard to do with help from Fishbone and more programmers on the team. I think it would be a great idea to maybe take SOME of the missions from the single player campaign, or some bonus missions to make so multi-player missions.

NOTE: For a more-informed vote, read THIS POST, by GSH, a well-known Battlezone 2 developer from Pandemic Studios.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

Hmm..

I'd vote to make the entire campaign open and coop mp playable, as well as in Single player for those who cant play online or dont want to.

Maybe after the single player versions are done, the mp ones can have easter eggs put in them or bonus stuff for players to have fun finding :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

GSH

Making things coop doubles the scripting work. At least. Either have coop in from day 1, or never. The worst thing you can do is try and add it partway thru.

-- GSH

Commando

Which pretty much means use Overmind's dll scripter or C++ and not BSer's dll scripter.

TheJamsh

Its just a chip-in idea anyway. get a nice big idea pool floating around.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Angstromicus

I put in a vote for not being interested. I'll never get to really enjoy the benefits because of my internet. I'll change my vote though if it has the chance to tip the balance.

Commando

I would love to see some coop missions which have different objections.  MPI gets boring after a while because the objective is always destroy the enemy factory and recycler.  There isn't much variety to it.

Nielk1

I would love to see this as a separate thing, but possible in the mod. It could be tied with the story, or re-hashes of some of the missions in CO-Op form.

I answered not sure because I like the idea but I don't want to program it.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

I'd love to see the entire campaign coop as i said. N1 u once said you could make single player missions use C++ dlls, so we could just use the same missions in the single player menu too.

*****General BlackDragon*****

GSH

QuoteI'd love to see the entire campaign coop as i said.

And I'd like one beeeeelion dollars. Doesn't mean that either will happen w/o a LOT of work.

Figure out your talent, and what they can accomplish. Then, cut the amount of work planned in half. It's better to do three things well versus five things poorly.

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

I reckon that there should be a bunch of Coop bonus missions... but I recommend that the SP campaign stays SP.

That will be hard enough.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

ScarleTomato

like GSH says it would take alot of scripting to make the entire thing CO-OP and some things may even have to be cut if it was all CO-OP. SP missions are nice because you can add a helluvalot more stuff to them to make them so much more immersive. Also if youre going to try and make it optimized for SP and CO-OP you're basically making two different missions anyways.

I'd say do like Splinter cell (Chaos theory I think) does. The single player missions reference the separate CO-OP missions alot (and vice versa) as they're another group of agents doing something else parallel to the main storyline.
That way you don't even need to release it along with the main project. It can be developed along with or after the core project leaving some options open for the developers. The main project won't have to wait for the MP mission to get done, and could possibly even add some replayability to the SP campaign if its released a short time after.

Tempest Storm

I chose to vote against this mostly since it is going to take a lot of effort to get a SP campaign that is also completely compatible for co-op in MP. However I am not completely opposed to the idea.

Perhaps a CO-op ST: game mode? Say up to 4 human commanders can join the game and are allied together against an AI opponent that scales in difficulty based on the amount of players in the game and through server side options. Secondary objectives could be added to spice it up rather than just making it one big MPI. Perhaps capture-able objectives? Say a communications array that if captured will give radar view on the map, or an alien factory that if activated can produce special units for a cheap price, and such.

Angstromicus

Yea, ind of like, oh... what was it? That ZTV mission map? That was a pretty fun map when I had the capability of playing it  :-D. Just a stand-alone multiplayer mission in a map-pack that'll be made for the mod for the sake of pure entertainment instead of taking a piece of the story out of the single player campaign (unless there's plenty of room for finding out cool story easter-eggs :) ).

xSSx Grizzly

Yeah would be interested in co-op defiantely.