• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Josh Resnick (Pandemic President) in 1995

Started by GSH, August 20, 2009, 02:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfreak

Hmm, wasn't MechWarrior2 one of the games placed to make BZ1's engine?

bb1

Warfreak

I think so too...

Wow, I'm glad we kept moving forward in tech, nice to see textures on models. :)

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Blue_Leader

Wow, 3000 dollars for that? I thought my computer was slow but mine could walk circles around it and I only paid about 500 for it. How far we have come indeed.

bb1

A 4666 or what did he say? I don't even know what that is.

AcneVulgaris

Wow... what's the framerate on that thing? 4fps?.  I remember seeing those cases from my early days as an IT guy, and pondering the mighty 133mhz 486 pentium inside.  I think RAM was around $100/meg... so a gig of ram would have worked out to ~ $100k, assuming you could find something to plug all those 4meg simms into.

My $200 iPod (probably $150 then, adjusted for inflation) blows that PC out of the water.  Never in my wildest dreams back then did I imagine such a thing. 

mrtwosheds

QuoteNever in my wildest dreams back then did I imagine such a thing. 
I, unfortunately, imagined things far greater than we have now, been a scifi reader most of my life, today's computers are still just dumb number crunchers, less intelligent than an amoeba and it seems that one of their main purposes is simply to be a retail item.
Disappointed is an understatement.

AcneVulgaris

I think we'll see true AI in our lifetimes, but I'm not looking forward to it.  There's going to be a major upheaval as most jobs are taken over by machines owned by the rich, and the ensuing nastiness probably won't be over in our lifetimes.  Last thing I want when I'm old and feeble is to live through (or not) a revolution.

mrtwosheds

A useful true AI, Or synthetic intelligence, as it would be better named, is I suspect still along way off and would probably not be used (or let themselves be used) in the ways you imagine.
As far as jobs go, it is an old fear stirred up by every new technology, things usually work out better in the end though. Revolutions generally only occur when they need to, if a system allows itself to become so unbalanced that one occurs, it is probably for the best. Democratic Capitalism relies on a sizeable proportion of its population being not very well off, but not so poor that they cannot play their part in the economy, if the gulf between rich and poor grows too wide, democracy and freedom will have failed anyway so revolution can only be an improvement. 

Red Devil

Was hanging up the outdoor speakers yesterday and a buddy handed me his iPod tOuch so I could make them plumb.  Darn thing has a level app that uses the accelerometer; displayed it in tenths of a degree, too.   :-o
What box???

Ultraken

Angstromicus

With a double-barrel shotgun  :-o! I haven't seen you post since February 13, 2008 06:32:39 PM eastern time! Long time no see, Ken.

sabrebattletank