• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(medium bug) Scion morphing graphical bug

Started by Jwk the Hemp Monkey, January 28, 2005, 10:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I think it might be because the morph speed has been reduced to 3 seconds instead of 5. Now when a unit morphs it starts to fade into chrome them 'snaps' into full chrome ....then snaps back into 'fading to normal texture' state. Originally the full normal-fade-chrome-fade-normal takes 5 seconds, but it was changed to 3, in the change-log (holyiest of thou) it mentions how this is change from 3-5 was ment to get the morphing to be 'in-sync'.....but i think that they judged 'sync' as when the polygons stopped shifting, not nessesarily when the over-all graphica afffect finshed.

Zero Angel

IMO, Medium bug classification is for something that affects gameplay, or is suddenly noticable (ie: as noticable as lighting one->none)

(Edit: Me being a jerk removed. I'm not helping anything.)
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

It should be returned to 5 seconds. Since the full animation has the chrome affect as part of the process.

Spawn

why bring this up and why do you care?
make a recyc variant

Commando

Spawn brought it to my attention that this morph time is completely under our control through odf tweaking.  For all scion morph tanks, add the following, excludeing the header "[DeployableClass]", as its already there.  That will set the morph and unmorph times to 5 seconds to match 1.2 values.  

[DeployableClass]
timeDeploy = 5.0
timeUndeploy = 5.0

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

I care because the devil is in the details.

As i suspected it only took an odf tweak. This tweak should be made to be 5 seconds not 3 for all the scion units that morph.
Hopefullly the final 1.3 patch will have this corrected.

BZZERKER

Nice to see your still giving orders hemp.

Does this "break" gameplay?...No, it doesn't. It alters it a little but doesn't break the playability. We have bigger bugs to zap.

Angelwing

But it's one of those 'little things' nontheless...
Too many of those is just as bad as a bad bug, imo it's best to rid of them all - though I prefer 3 second morphing time myself.
Surely it's possible to change the fade times?

Spawn

it doesnt matter at all
it affects balance, but there are bigger things to work on...

Commando

If its such an important issue, you can fix it by tweaking all of the scion morph tanks.  There are maybe six at the most.  To fix this game breaking issue, create a variant that doesn't have this issue, the ability to fix the issue is there.  The only thing that was changes was the DEFAULT morph and unmorph times.

General BlackDragon

yah, and if you read the paragraph it says that it would help them do better againt combonations of attackers when they can morph 2 seconds faster, ooo wow,...2 seconds...why, do you miss it? too late, there it goes, bye bye.

some times people make me reall want to hit them on the head with a portable bathroom.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

Why the hell is everyone getting so bitchy over a tiny detail.

Firstly lots of tiny errors are as bad as a big error, so the need to fix them is there...and if its so small then *why are you getting angry and irritated when you could just get out of the way and let others fix it*

Its ignoring details that got us into the problem of having to make patchs in the first place ffs.

Scout

Its just the way you say it, more like a demand then a request like its your devine right or something, tough luck kiddo.. dont bother crying you wanted an answer.

*edit* yea tell me how 4 programmers (respectively) biting off way more then they could chew and acti pushing an unrealistic release date results (in your mind) a few "details" that require patchs..

So ontop of the above id have to add your twisted and acute perspective on the world as another answer.

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

a) i am not 'kiddo' or twisted or warped or whatever annoying insult you can say. What I am is trying to make sure the 1.3 patch is as good as it can be.

b) The point of a beta test is to point out details like this

c) I wasn't making a jab at the people who made bz2. I was making a *generic statement* about attitudes towards getting things done. Would you want a different attitude if I was filling up the oil in the breaks to your car?

d) if its so easily fixed back to what it should be then why are you getting so defensive?

Can you guys please tone it down man....i point out something like this and so far its

"Nice to see your still giving orders hemp."
"some times people make me reall want to hit them on the head with a portable bathroom."
"your twisted and acute perspective"
"demand then a request like its your devine right or something, tough luck kiddo"

The topic is labeled Medium for a reason. The only reason its not minor is because it has a slight affect on a scouts abilty to run away.

Infact...I was the one who made a big thing about labeling things minor/Medium/MAJOR to *make it easier for you guys*. So please, please stop harrasing me when I am only trying to help.

ScarleTomato

Quote from: Commando...you can fix it by tweaking all of the scion morph tanks.  There are maybe six at the most.

There ya go, if ya want it fixed then go shoten the animations. Send GSH the new models and i bet he'd be happy to put them in 1.3. Like ZA did for the broken 1.3 tunnels.

For all the tedious work involved in reanimating the models, I really don't think its worth fixing a minor(at best) graphics bug. Minor because the bug you mention does not hinder the actual gameplay. In fact the cause for the bug IMO affects gameplay in a positive way.

On the topic of minor graphics glitches, does anyone know the cause of the X for ground splashes? Most noticable in the GT plasma or Natty's minigun rounds. Is this intended? If not, how would one go about fixing it?