• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.3 grafic problems

Started by Viperus, February 16, 2005, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viperus

my grafic settings keep reseting why is that and is there a patch if so post the link

Spawn

your graphics go down to improve framerates

Viperus

BZ FeebleEffort

This is a "feature" which I personally do not like about 1.3, but in theory might prove helpful for players w/ modest computers.

When a next 1.3 is released. someone is gonna need to tell me how to adjust those setting so they NEVER adjust,  in 1.3 pb for me I set those settings per instructions and it was still changing and my framerates were always in the 30+ rate.

Spawn

RubiconAlpha

Yeah I hear ya BZ FeebleEffort, I'd like the "feature" to be more of a "option" myself.

I find it a bit too much at times. I have about the slowest computer out there (650mhz) and I'm lucky if I can stay in the 30+ range for very long but having the game get both slow AND ugly makes it worse for me.

If it was an option I could see players with powerful PC's never needing it unless the have lots of units in a built up base in front of them on screen.

If this could be "hotkey'ed" for players who see their frame-rate dropping then it could help recover some of the FPS when needed.

If Commando or someone else on the v1.3 beta has addressed this already then perhaps it will be a non-issue in the future.

OvermindDL1

If your computer is bad enough that the auto thing kicks in, then you *NEED* it.  I don't think it should be an option, I think it should be mandatory, built into the game itself with no possability to change.  If you don't want it kicking in then upgrade your computer.  I've been playing at over 1500 fps, about 1100 fps in heavy battles, never has it kicked on, on this computer, but if I played with you and you suddenly started lagging because your graphics didn't decrease (yes FPS plays a massive role in how much you lag), I would not every play in a game with you again.

BZ FeebleEffort

Over, I would be the last person to ? your accuracy...but "1500 fps, about 1100 fps "  Sounds a bit insanely high...Seeing how XP has a built in limit to FPS/ w/ refresh rate...I wonder how u could get fromaes like that(yes I know there is some tweak to work around the XP limit), but still 1500?

I can easily understand 150 or 175. fps..but 1500?

Be that as it may, My comp is quite able(p4 3.0 w/ HT and geforce 4 256 meg 5950 Ultra graphics 1 gig ram.)...So I certianly don't think I'm "underpowered". Perhaps later buoilds of 1.3 are better than 1.3 pb...but it seems on  my machine I get about every "bad break" you could get from 1.3...And this auto adjusting graphics just makes a everything look bad even when my frames are a comfortable 30 -40 FPS...

And yes I know its in the gameprefs..its just that, "tweaked" or not, they still adjust and the whole graphics suffer as a result.

APCs r evil

I am against the auto-adjusted graphics in their entirety, I often find myself having a fight with my computer in the graphics options page. Plus I notice very little change in the FPS when it decides to drop my poor ass down to lowest possible graphics. Maybe a difference of about 4-8 FPS. This also affects gameplay because half the time at lower graphics one finds oneself being struck by invisible projectiles and staring at a godawful enviroment while trying very hard to discern an enemy ship from the single tone terrain, or some water.

And more than that, these auto graphics take away control of your own options page, why bother having a graphic option page at all if you can't control it?

Now I'm all for reducing lag here but still, this should be an option in both the main options page and for servers in the shell. (Defaulted to no so people who don't care enough to change extra options won't force people to endure the game mentioned above).

Spawn

om's computer is on crack :lol:
its not like you cant make all the gameprefs values insanely low or just make a hotkey that adjusts graphics automatically.  but, if your too lazy to do such a thing then nothing can prevent it (yes, i do think it is annoying, but the workaround is simple so i dont really care...)

OvermindDL1

My computer is a 2.4ghz AMD with a gig of ram and an old 9700 pro, I have VSync turned off so it is not limited to the refresh rate, and in BZ2 at full quality I never see myself with less then 800fps, with shadows and fog and such off I average 1500 at start of map and drop to about 1100 in heavy battles.  I even have screenshots in the 1.3 patch private area that have the fps counter on it, should I link to a pic to show?

Commando

I wish my fps were that high.  My specs are sim ilar to yours.  2.2 GHz AMD XP 2400 (64), 1.5 GB ram, ATI 9600 SE.  I don't have VSYNC disabled.

OvermindDL1

Well turn off VSync, you can force it off using the ATI Control Panel.

BZ FeebleEffort

actually Over, after I posted that I recalled my days in 1.3 private beta and recall the counter...But my thought is that counter is not accuracte to decimal places..I mean..I think there should be a decimal place in there and your counter may be actually reading 150-110 FPS.

I'm not positive, but go ahead and ask nathan or Ken, If they say it REALLY is 1500 FPS I'll say "Condgradulations...you got 1 fast ass computer"

But I have never seen frames like that in any game..but I could be wrong.

And yes, APC the OPTION is whats best. But if I go and try to explain all the origins and implimentaions of the mandatory auto graphic adjustment, people will just say I'm being 1.3 negative, so I'll just leave it alone.. But well (insert little shrug motion here).

OvermindDL1

No, FRAPS reports the same thing, give or take 30.  I have to actually reduce the quality far enough to get upwards of 1800fps before I can record with fraps at 60...  Shows you the overhead FRAPS has, heh...