• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(Medium) Scavenger Physics 'bug'

Started by Jwk the Hemp Monkey, June 01, 2005, 02:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarleTomato

Since everyone is adding opinions here ill help out :P
I think its pretty good like it is. If youre worried about believability, tracked units were waay to easy to push in 1.2 IMO
If youre worried about balance, err everyone has the same disadvantage, so... i guess it pretty balanced :)
Even so, from what i can tell from gameplay (and the number of slightly OT posts here) its not really the biggest of issues. If you do this to get them in water, well, most ST maps have little to no water anyways. and why dont you just kill them urself? more score for you, and with cannon,gun,mortar comboing it wont take you more than a couple seconds and half a pods worth. If its the start of the level and you're in a scout, well, sucks to be you. The start of the game should really depend more on the cmdrs ability to expand fast anyways IMO.
'sides i think scouts are too powerful. They should start out with lasers IMO. (where do they hold all those mini rounds?)

ooh! new 1.3 feature! Can it be made so the weapons themselves are tagged rechargable? Instead of the craft?

edit: oo page 4 :)

Angelwing

Ammo is stored as Biometal (or at least some form of biometal-based compound) and, as a result, can be used to supply ammunition for various weapons systems. It'd also take up a hell of a lot less space than actual ammunition racks, at least I would have thought so...

ScarleTomato

yes but I think energy weapons should at least recharge faster than particle based weapons. Lasers should run on cells, maybe refueled by sunlight or air or moisture in the air or something in abundance. Balance-wise, I think it would help cut down on recy rushing too. But another thing is the actual mass. how does it refill its biometal stores? has the ISDF mastered energy to matter conversion? Oh wait I bet they transfer metal to the craft like extractors to the recy.

another ?, How do they transfer scrap? The same way HW makes use of recource controllers or refineries? I think that had something to do with rubbing two quantum plates together and creating a wormhole.

Angelwing

Just one of those "unexplained' things I guess, neccessary for gameplay but not very realistic. Yeah, it was kinda weird in HW that the Resource Controllers magically sent RU back to you the second it'd been collected, but it allowed remote mining operations on some of the larger maps (though I personally preferred using carriers)

As for BZ2, I figure some form of biometal energy-matter converter might be in place, either that or the service bay 'sprays' units with biometal vapour which are collected by the units to supply their ammunition reserves, or simply applied to the hull structure of the unit to repair it.
An interesting feature you could have here is to be unable to fully repair units you're unable to build, as you don't have the proper specifications for them and would be unable to determine what exactly needs repairing.
(i'm not even going to begin to try to figure out how service pods work...)

As for the extractor thing, I always thought that the time taken for the extractor to 'deploy' was a proper link being established with the recycler, probably in the form of an underground pipeline being constructed which, knowing the capabilities of biometal, shouldn't be TOO far-fetched a possibility...

Spawn

its a teleportation system, thats whyt scavs cant hover no more, they too heavy

Jwk the Hemp Monkey

yeah, OT posts. Great.

Anyway. Saying that '' oh its not important lets just leave it as is'' is a sure fire way of having losts of small changes in the stratigical and tactical balance of the game all comming to gether and making gameplay less enjoyable.

If you make the scavs harder to push for whatever reason. You make them easier to push. Not being pushable against their tracks, but being really easily pushable *along* their tracks is an excellent solution that restorts balence, keeps realism/believeabilty and also fixes one of those annoying bugs.

ScarleTomato

If you say so :s. If it's as important as you assume, I'd say keep realism, if a enemy scavvie doesn't want to be plopped in the nearest pool, he'd probably put on his brakes. Therefore making it as hard to push parallel to the tracks as it would be perpendicular. I think a cool feature would be the ability to topple things. wanna knock off a scav? Topple it over on its side and let it sit there. :) Itd work for walkers too :P you could use battlefield tugs to upright em. Hovercrafts are OK i guess since they use jets or whatever.

APCs r evil

That... sounds, excellently realistic. Although inconvenient.

ScarleTomato

yes well maybe its not very good for THIS particular game. Maulers struggling to upright themselves would really mess up their current 'death befalls you' feel.

Scout

" the problem is those changes were made w/o clearly recognizing what a negative impact the  change would have on "scav pushing" which is a important  strategy in some human 3v3 or 4v4 strat games."

nah i bet ken knew what his changes would imply, but you see.. he is the maker not the player so stop shedding those tears feeble effort. what a name..

squirrelof09

Quote from: Scout on October 24, 2005, 07:23:24 AM
" the problem is those changes were made w/o clearly recognizing what a negative impact the change would have on "scav pushing" which is a important strategy in some human 3v3 or 4v4 strat games."

nah i bet ken knew what his changes would imply, but you see.. he is the maker not the player so stop shedding those tears feeble effort. what a name..

Someone did it again...
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

BZZERKER

While I do have problems with dear 'ol Scouty from time to time, I don't have a problem with him resurrecting this thread because I have a certain amount of respect for him.

Back down squirrel, he's too l33t for you. :-P