• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Please help - unable to set ISDF to my default team modding

Started by SEANINATOR, June 13, 2005, 09:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEANINATOR

Hello,
I just started working on some modifications to some maps using the map
editor program for 1.3 and have had fair success in creation of the
maps. However - I am unable to set which team I want.  For example - in Chill I have theentire map reworked but wish to fight the ISDF against the ISDF. :?
(IMO  I prefer the ISDF) Here is what happens. My new game will start with good assets  but I am always the Scions against the ISDF.  I am VERY new to mapping and have downloaded as many articles as I can find but it seems I need to rework the .bzn file in a text editor or understand the bzeditor more. I plan on publishing these maps if I can work them out. They will be very challenging in instant player mode. So please... how do I set my default team to be ISDF when I make a modded map from standard maps (like chill.bzn) in BZ2 version 1.3 ?
dosmstr@aol.com

Red Devil

What box???

GreenHeart

The Inf Files for the 1.3 Maps are different than 1.2 Ib\nf file...

if your not able to select the proper race than you'll need check if you updated your inf file from 1.2 map options to 1.3 options.

just make sure you don't try & use any 1.3 maps in 1.2 because they won't be compatible. 1.2 maps should work in 1.3 but some may need slight tweaking if they contain any custom assets or custom dll. updating the inf file is optional because the only difference is being able to change certain game settings that were not in 1.2
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

SEANINATOR

Okay.... but  E x a c t l y  how does one modify an inf file to allow MY default side or BOTH sides to spawn as ISDF.   :s  

Here's how I have been modding the maps. I open up the bzeditor.exe and then load an instant game file from my machine (bz2 w 1.3 public beta) from

C:\Program Files\Battlezone II\addon\Missions\instant\CHILLI  and then open (for an example) chilli.bzn   - from there I work my map majic <like sniper points 200ft tall and bridges to the plateaus surrounding the center pool for constructors to build on and statues defending the rear of each base (defends against cheesy attacks from behind base..extra pools and so on>

Once satisfied, I save the file and have tried saving the new file in its own folder and other methods but each time (even if I modify the *.inf file and set my team to 1) I always start as the weaker side - Scions.

I have read somewhere that if you use the map editor to remove/replace the start ship you may as well start over so it appears the sides are not set by the bzedit.exe and rather by an inf file somewhere ( i opened the chilli.bzn file in word and found many references to starting sides but I'll be darned if I know how many I need to modify.

EVERYONE will benefit from this project especially those who wish (at this point) that the chill, dunes, hilo, iceberg etc... were all more challenging now that we've learned the game. I did attempt a game on a dunes map that I made and the AI took an entirely different approach to my map making a challenging map out of a current slam dunk for me. Within 5 minutes they (isdf) sent 4 rocket tanks into my base and kicked my a** since the scion's defenses may as well blow bubbles. AlienDune map  mods include; building lakes around pools with bridges to destroy and statues at the gates and canyons for ships to fall into and sniper towers everywhere.

Help - it's the missing link that I need.

APCs r evil

This is the chilli.inf file,

[DESCRIPTION]
missionName = "Chill"
mapTga = "chilli.bmp"
mapDesc = "chilli.des"
mySide = 1

Aware_v13 = true

// Default Race(s) for team. If lines are commented out, last choice
// is used instead. It's recommended to have some stock values in
// here, in case some custom map just set the values to really weird
// values
RaceHuman = 105 // 105 = ascii 'i' for ISDF, 102 = 'f' for Scion
RaceCPU = 105 // 105 = ascii 'i' for ISDF, 102 = 'f' for Scion

// Items below are stubs. Uncomment the lines (remove the leading //)
// for them to take effect.

// If specified, it takes this string, and looks for bzshell_instant_xo_<string>.cfg
//ExtraOptions = "Blank"

// If the Lock params are true, the user is prevented from changing
// the choice. Default is false if commented out

//LockRaceHuman = false//You can change this to true if you want both teams to be ISDF no matter what
//LockRaceCPU = false

//ClearInstantVarbs = true // to 0/empty if not specified below

// Shove things in options.instant.*, samples below. The number
// suffixes are from 0..31 for each category. Note: these values set
// are *NOT* saved to disk for a savegame. If a DLL wants to refer to
// it later, it should copy off the value into its own memory.

//options_instant_bool2 = true
//options_instant_int3 = 17
//options_instant_float4 = 3.141592657
//options_instant_string5 = "GSH was here"

End of INF.

Now, Scions are NOT the weaker race, you're just using them wrong. Don't build Gun Spires to defend from Assault and Rocket Tanks, build Maulers and eventually Sonic Titans.

SEANINATOR

Apcs: :D
I appreciate your answer greatly and have applied it and it works in the INI file.  I shall begin to re-create all instant maps for advanced BZ2 gamers who wish to endeavor in my creations. I am fiddling around with inserting crashed ship objects and dummy snipers/pilots on hill tops to confuse those being sniped. IT'll be sweet and I am looking forward to uploading them to bzscrap.com once all bugs are worked out - I am noticing the AI builds the recycler in the same spot so adding a pool at the base is a strategy in itself - and the opposing scion troops were attacking my downed prop ships and dummy Major Braddock inserted on the map.
:lol: SOme scavs have a hard time with hard objects on regular paths too so I'll just build bridges instead of obstacles.

Now i havent attempted to mod an MPI map yet but is it the same in terms of the INI file?  I wish to finish a map and email the *.bzn file to a friend so we can play in the new alien dunes world of my creation.
Id like for you to review it as I am sure you are a big fan of the game.

:? One more question if I may...  the statues are easily inserted but will not attack either side. How do insert them so they attack EVERYONE or just one side?  Are those setting in the editor or a manual entry in an ini file?  Or - am I able to insert rocket towers that work to shoot everyone down or one side at a time?

Modding maps is mega fun - thanks for your help and thanks to the writers of the most challenging / underrated game of this generation. :beerchug:

PS: leaving an invite open to APCs r Evil for a strat game whenever u like.
:missiler:

ScarleTomato

You can make them a certain team when you place them with the editor.
you can have team 1-15 I think
Team 0 (Neutral) They wont attack or be attacked
You are usually team 1, and for the map your editing, eyedrop an enemy and it'll tell you what team its on

Spawn

well
in mpi human and allies are teams 1-5, comp is 6-10 and theres another set on 11-15 maybe
in instant the comp is team 5, yourl team 1 though, and nobody is allied except team zero

oh, and if you add new paths which the si doesnt use for some reason, try typing ai.calccliffs into console then save map, it will help pathing

SEANINATOR

and if you add new paths which the si doesnt use for some reason, try typing ai.calccliffs into console then save map, it will help pathing

uhh okay - into what console or directory? Again Im quite new to this - a newbee to mapping and pathing but rest assured the end results will be epic with help from you guys.  :devilgun:

So ( Scarlet Tomatoe wassup buddy  :beerchug: ) if I select a statue and set it to a number of say 6 it will attack me. I believe I tried this with setting of 1 when i placed my statues and they sat and spun around continuously but thats all they would do. They were placed to attack the others but sat and spun. I would like for them to become  athreat for both sides to see how the AI would deal with them - if at all.  I'd like to see if the AI can handle me and an angry statue.

Ill be happy to send a copy of the files I made thus far to whomever supplies an email. Perhaps 2 brains are better than one. My bridge building
technique needs refining.

I'd like to see some other modders try to enable the statues behind the base on say the old chill map and set it to destroy the other team if they enter base. OR set it to sit about mid center in the alien dunes map and melt all commers to the center pool.  Benevolence in equal destruction.

After placing several extra objects around the map and seeing the visual effects and the mood it presents - I gotta wonder why more objects werent placed automatically. (FPS can be affected I know but a crashed APC on top of a hill doesnt hog cpu cycles or will it?)

One more important item is this - what tool do I use to establish base building areas or define the map so that a remote factory can be placed on larger maps like some of the larger maps in the past had. :?

Again - mucho thanks

Angelwing

You can build off neutral buildings for that. Just put a powerplant or something set as team 0 where you want it to be, and you'll be able to build next to it...

I think there might be a more advanced way of doing it, but im not sure. I remember in certain FE levels being able to place GTs by themselves around my base area but I thought this was just a glitch or something...

Bull Dog

Spawn

no, it still exists
look at ST:HEATED or whatever...

console is the thing you open with ctrl and tidle (~)

SEANINATOR

OOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG   I hit your link to AngelicFury and
sat with mouth open in sheer amazement.  :o

So much for my topics on mapping issues - except ...can the statues be successfully added to any instant 1.3 maps as dual foe to both sides or if not wil lti work as a foe by my choosing...if that is possible just confirm and I will make it work somehow.

Please look for my new post as I am aware I have digressed heavily from original topic:

new topic:  Timeline of BZ2 with mods  search and respond please....

Thanks for all your help I am breathing new life into this game and it seems you guys are as well ......now that's entertainment!

Seaninator (please join me for an MPI sometime - just kill stuff though)

ScarleTomato

:cry: the only amazement i get is the 'page not found' page. anyone else have this problem or is it only on my end?

OvermindDL1

I see a page, but it is black... with a green graphic .tk in the upper-left corner...