• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Re: BZ2 v1.3 Public Beta 2 Rant

Started by deadscion, December 26, 2005, 06:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commando

I can honestly see where DS is coming from.  I would be thinking along the same line if I wasn't in the beta.  I wouldn't be posting it however.

squirrelof09

Quote from: APCs r evil on December 27, 2005, 07:21:17 AM
Sigh.... Guess I have to go back to the default skin. :cry:

APC, just use DS's skin and mute him :)
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Eraser

I've been lurking here, checking up on things every once and a while waiting for the next 1.3.  Mainly so Avatar can release his bz1 mod I've been eagerly waiting ages for.

I must admit I'm disappointed 1.3 has taken such a long time.  But I've been working on mods for other games for 3 years now, I completely understand how god awefully long things take, even without any programming at all, which I've just started to learn myself.  For me alone, small simple programs take quite a while to complete.  That said, a single professional working on and fixing the code for an entire game(Nathan has probably wound up practically rewriting the amount 3 times over) will take an immensely long time. especially with how buggy bz2 was at first, and how complex code for any game is, let alone a hybrid like bz2.

While following Av's mod, he's said a few things about Nathan being very generous about adding features for modders,  why may I ask would someone devote so much time to something and not release it?

DS's behavior has been very immature, but so has that of everyone attacking him.  Everyone needs to chill out just a little bit.

However, it is not too much to ask about how 1.3 is going as long as its respectful and not nagging.  That hasn't quite been the case here, but if we could please hear a little more information about what is going on, I think alot of people would be more at ease and regain most of their patience.

More public betas I feel would be a good thing for development, as many more people can test it out and run into bugs the closed beta team simply might not find.

Nathan, working on a mod for tes3 morrowind, I wound up in your exact position.  I kept going on a project, continually delaying it because I kept having to go back and add more and change things, and people became just as impatient and rude.  For what its worth, I think everyone's lives would be a bit easier if 1.3 wasn't released as one huge patch, but instead, a few more manageable chunks. Like an initial release with fixes and additions up to a certain point in time, with more versions (1.3.1 or whatever) following, adding and fixing more over time until you get to the point you'd consider 1.3 complete how you're working on it now.

Red Devil

For illustrative purposes, I just did a quick check and 500,000 lines of code is about 7,100 pages of text or about 5,000,000 words and symbols.  The Encyclopedia Britannica has 14,000,000 words.  Now take those words and make them all perfectly inter-relate with each other on the fly.  Now realize, like Eraser said, that work is being done by one guy. It's normally done by 10-20 programmers.

Trust me, he has his hands full enough with just us finding bugs, and that's after 8-10-12 hours working his RL job.
What box???

Kalshion

QuoteHowever, it is not too much to ask about how 1.3 is going as long as its respectful and not nagging.  That hasn't quite been the case here, but if we could please hear a little more information about what is going on, I think alot of people would be more at ease and regain most of their patience.

Yes.. it is to much to ask

1. The community doesn't DESERVE a report on whats going on
2. The community has ignored DS's rantings and his immature attitude, and has thus not bothered to tell him to SHUT UP

Like I said before, it's OUR fault we lost the privs for reports, but it's even further our fault for letting idiots like DS continue to rant, complain, cry, whin, and what not about stuff he isn't apart of

Sorry.. but we don't deserve any reports.. when Nathan feels we have been good then maybe he'll start posting reports.. but as long as people ignore DS's attitude that won't happen

deadscion

CXall it whatever you like, but these  guys have no intention of telling the public anything because this patch is never getting released.

The so called 1.3 patch is something design for a private gaming group and will never be released to the public.

The only reason they even admit to the patch is when they wish to recruit new members which get limited priveleges so they have somebody to misuse.

This patch is dead go look somewhere else for a good game.

Doom3
Quake4
UT2007

Take your pick all are far better then waiting for a closed society to share they kiddies toys.

GSH

Will you post a dozen messages apologizing when you're proven wrong? Your questions have been answered, just not the way you wanted them answered. That bugs you. Let it go. Life is so much nicer when you do so.

-- GSH

deadscion

Quote from: GSH on December 27, 2005, 04:32:26 PM
Will you post a dozen messages apologizing when you're proven wrong? Your questions have been answered, just not the way you wanted them answered. That bugs you. Let it go. Life is so much nicer when you do so.

-- GSH

Can you believe this guy? I thinks he is gonna prove me wrong.
Well for the sake of everyone he has brow beat over the years I most certainly hope so.

Like I said;
Last January 2005, you guys said you were close to finishing.
Last June 2005, you said you were close to finishing.
Now it is December 2005 and you still are not finished.

You refuse to say why and do not give a release date.

Therefore you have no intentions of a release at all.

Even if you do intend a release, at this rate, the chances of an actual release are very slim.

Oh by the way GSH, the modders want you to do one more thing  one more thing  one more thing  one more thing.

Apologize? for being honest and truthful? shheeeeeiiitttt

APCs r evil

@ DS: You're making it hard not to say something...

deadscion

Red Devil

One more thing, he never said it would be out at a certain time.  More likely one of us said that.  Heck, you're lucky he even came back to work on it at all after the last go around. Your problem is he's in control, he's much smarter than you, and you have a deep-seated need to find things to control in your life because you are basically powerless.

You don't have a damn constructive thing to say and never have.  You just need to STFU, but since you won't I'm clicking your Ignore button so I don't have to see your drivel an longer.

Bye!
What box???

General BlackDragon

DS, your an ignorant hoot...

the patch is being worked on and just now does it seem like most all the bugs are fixed and all the little modder's tid bits are done being added. You seem intent that this patch will never be released, well your just stupid. My estimate of when the patch will be released is early next year (2006) , this means before july or april. If i had to hope, i would say in january or feburary. The next public beta would probably definately be in january or feburary.

You do nothing but insult and complain the patch, so I say we ban you from the server and bzscrap and EVERYTHING bz related so that you NEVER get your hangs on the 1.3 patch. While everyone else gets to play the much better smoother version of the game.

You offer proof of "its almost done! its almost done!" over the next year, well yes because of modder's little tid bits it has moved. As quoted from the Epic mod's public description of their board on BZMD, "its hard to work towards moving targets". The 1.3 is a moving target, and it is impossible to predict exactly how long it will take to fix bugs and how do you ever predict your free time? Simple, you cant.

So stop posting negative things, you know, IF A: you had never been so rude about it and B: had asked nicely, you may have been entered into the private beta and you would be able to see the real thing. But now that will never happen, you will never be entered into it and will have to wait just like all the other people.

Have fun dwelling in your own hoothole...you earned it.

*****General BlackDragon*****

APCs r evil

Quote from: General BlackDragon on December 27, 2005, 06:47:58 PM

the patch is being worked on and just now does it seem like most all the bugs are fixed and all the little modder's tid bits are done being added. You seem intent that this patch will never be released, well your just stupid. My estimate of when the patch will be released is early next year (2006) , this means before july or april. If i had to hope, i would say in january or feburary. The next public beta would probably definately be in january or feburary.

You do nothing but insult and complain the patch, so I say we ban you from the server and bzscrap and EVERYTHING bz related so that you NEVER get your hangs on the 1.3 patch. While everyone else gets to play the much better smoother version of the game.

You offer proof of "its almost done! its almost done!" over the next year, well yes because of modder's little tid bits it has moved. As quoted from the Epic mod's public description of their board on BZMD, "its hard to work towards moving targets". The 1.3 is a moving target, and it is impossible to predict exactly how long it will take to fix bugs and how do you ever predict your free time? Simple, you cant.

So stop posting negative things, you know, IF A: you had never been so rude about it and B: had asked nicely, you may have been entered into the private beta and you would be able to see the real thing. But now that will never happen, you will never be entered into it and will have to wait just like all the other people.

squirrelof09

Lol APC..

Quote from: APCs r evil on December 27, 2005, 07:05:59 PM
Quote from: General BlackDragon on December 27, 2005, 06:47:58 PM

fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?