• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Jammers block commands even in visual

Started by llulla, September 15, 2006, 07:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Angel

I thought one of the points of jammers WAS to nullify the effect of humans MDMing bases, forcing them to either charge the base to kill the jammer first, or bring seige units to outrange the jammers. In that case it's good, because its too easy to MDM-kill AI bases otherwise (doesn't count if the AI is using major scrap cheats, which IMO is a cheap hack)
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

wug

No, humans can still MDM the AI base even with Jammers, but the improved AI should make it less effective. :roll:

Yeah, scrap cheat should be avoided, but AI resource cheats at higher difficulty levels are normal in strategy games.  I can't think of one game I've played where that's not the case.

I was hoping some map makers would add a few maps to the final release of 1.3, but I guess it's probably too late. :|

APCs r evil

Since the Gun Spire's collision box is so huge, it's almost impossible to miss one with an MDM, even if you were having a seizure at the time.

Jammers are intended to hide things, and hide things they do... Anyway, they are meant to make it harder to coordinate an attack on a Scion base, and almost impossible to order airstrikes on one.

llulla

Yes, Bomber is practically dead with the new jammer defense 8-). It is good because using it is for cowards  :-P. You want the CPUs base go and get it yourself.
What gives me statics to my nerves :-( in the new situation, is facing bases that have 3+ Extractors and the Jammer(s) at the very far end of it.
In front of you, at MDM/Blast range is the first line (but not the last) of Gun Spires and a cocktail of Rocket Spires. You spend a lot of time and scrap to amass Assault, Attilas and Sabres at the edge of the base but can't order them anywhere. You start taking out personally the first line od GSs and, nasty little Builders  :evil: systematically restore it back because, there is loads of scrap to the CPU. In the mean time your army drinks the best Mauler spit the CPU has to offer and gets massage jolts from welcoming Titans until is decimated :-D.
So, build and gather again troops, start destroying again GSs AND stay there forever, especially if the map maker had a really twisted humor designing it :?

wug

I can't remember a map like that, but say there is, then it's definitely a map you need an extra player or two.  One player can only do so much. :cry:

BZZERKER

Firestorm is like that. Fortress also has 4 base pools for AI but has easy acces from sides.

APCs r evil

Regardless of how many pools the enemy base has, if the AI scrap cheat is set too high they will always be pumping things out no matter how many pools they have, even if they are down to one.

wug

If the AI is down to one pool, the AI should lose, regardless of scrap cheat.  At 60 scrap, it is severely handicapped - base defense is crippled, and all the better units cost over 60 scrap.

My AIPs have a threshold that caps the number of units the AI has at one time, so it won't go crazy just because it has plenty of scrap.  So, the AI is beatable even on Insane, albeit unlikely.

lucky_foot

Oh, beating it on Insane is possible. I did it in IA and it took me a week. When there base fell I was ready to scream for joy after so much fighting I had done. I mean, the amount of scrap that both sides spent was ridiculious number. :D
Jonathan S.

llulla

Yeah, with the last three difficulty options is like lucky_foot says, you eat all your nails :-D and continue deeper.
I was saying that even with Standard 3.3 of wug, with certain bases is very difficult. Fortress became a problem when the side bridges fell because of the combats taking place near or into them. When the access is only from the front this base becomes a nightmare.
You can try this as a variant of the map by taking out the bridges yourself in the beginning and playing only through the middle.

BZZERKER

I take the bridges out anyway to deny the AI the pools on each side. I also use the sides as dropoffs for APC's (just guard with RT's).

Looks like I'm gonna have to shake the rust off and give wug's AIP's a whoopin! :-D

wug

Oh right, Fortress... I've never made it out of my base far enough before I get roasted. :-o

Maybe Firestorm is the map I'm thinking about.  I just remember climbing the hill and lobbing MDM to take out the Jammer.  On those kind of maps, it really helps to have at least two guys lobbing mortars... much easier than doing it solo.

I'm testing an improved Scion AI now, but it's probably too late to make it into 1.3 patch.

lucky_foot

Release a patch of your own for everybody's addon folder. I don't think they'd mind getting the new improved IA that finally causes the player grief. :D

Just make sure that GSH get's a copy so if he ever decides to update the patch (who knows when...if at all) so he can include it.
Jonathan S.

wug

Well, I'm kinda hesitant about doing that because of the potential for bad assets when playing online.  I guess if v3.4 proves to be better, I'll post it up for anyone interested in trying it.

Raven

I'd try it, and  as for assets you could just put a pre/postfix on all files like ivscoutwug.odf or something, just things like that, putting all cfgs in an independant .pak, god only knows why I am saying this, like you dont know ;)

Make it like a mod? Could even have its own .exe file.