• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone Complex

Started by Nielk1, February 27, 2008, 09:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

I never did make a thread.

Near the end of last year, I got this strange feeling something bad was going to happen to the Battlezone Sites, but I did not know what. I began construction of 'Battlezone Complex' hoping I could produce something reasonable that would outlast whatever was coming.

The site includes a Forum, Gallery, Wiki, Bug Tracker, and Blog.
It is still a WIP, but is 90% ready. I am installing some last mods and adjusting the CSS one section at a time. Soon the forum will be complete and I will move on to another section.

>>>>>BZComplex<<<<<

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

And you are using phpBB why?  I have yet to see a version of it capable of remembering whether a post is read or not first of all...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

I have not had any issues with read/unread.

I use phpBB because I understand it. I plan to end up using it as a pet project as I learn more programming in various languages. Recoding can be fun. Also, this version of PHPBB is shiny, new, and I can actually keep track of all the mods for it and learn about it at a rate that leaves me best suited to it. Also, I overall like it better than SMF.

On a side note, before the RC version of phpBB3 the security settings spanned 20 or so pages. This is been consolidated now, but trust me when I say it is a lot more secure.

Looking at the code, I think the final marking for read/unread is done when you view a forum (So maybe if you go straight from a topic to the main index it won't register visually).

The new phpBB3 is module based, allowing for even easier customization.

I know we all love SMF here (except me) but:
Feature Compare (phpBB3 site)
Does anyone have a comparison skewed to show only SMF features in the first place so I can see what phpBB3 doesn't have?

Person note:
I hate the feel of SMF, I hate the general styles of SMF, I hate many of the ways functions are executed in SMF, I do not know the back end of SMF in enough confidence to edit it for completely custom use.
I have looked and found almost all modern forum layouts originate from the base phpBB layout, so there is another leg up for them.
I like it, I have fun with it, I understand it, and I have had NONE of the often listed issues with it.
If you register for my site and don't like something, tell me, and I will find a way to rectify it either permanently or to give you an option.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

phpBB3?  Does it keep unread counts across multiple sessions?  I know phpBB2 and before did not, one of my major gripes with it.

You do know you can theme SMF to be like anything, there is even a phpBB theme out there.  It is also module based.  The package system is one of the best out.

And yes, that feature page is a bit wrong with both SMF and IPB (do not know about vBulletin).
Actually a great deal of it is wrong with both of those...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Axeminister

I literally can't read anything on your site because of my color blindness. This site is nice and bright, yours doesn't have any way to change the color of everything as far as I can tell. Please help.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

The grey/light blue colors are pretty much at the same contrast levels, and I also don't see any sort of 'themes' or way to change them.  Very hard to read...

-Av-

General BlackDragon

he HAD it fixed for I.E. 6...

what happened?!

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

the pages are mainly firefox friendly, for some reason it only works in cetain installs of IE6...my school uses IE6 but it looks fine, whereas I go use IE6 at home and it looks like hoot.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Very nice N1. I don't think anybody could have expected the server thingy, but stuff happens sadly though and things change sometimes where information is lost to the misfortune of not only the one originally posting it and the countless others who could have read and used the information...BNG  PS: I guess it makes sense to somtimes use the web browser option to make certain pages available offline as it somewhat preserves such information on a persons own pc to a certain extent. I've been doing this for quite sometime now.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

If anyone is having a grey background, it should not be doing that.

Grey backgrounds are a result of IE6's inability to read PNGs correctly. I made the header cut off when you try to load in IE6 or lower to prevent it from being badly contorted, but alot of the site stiff suffers in IE6.

To me, the background is off black, and the text is off white, making a rather striking contrast.
That, and all text is in tables with translucent black backgrounds making the contrast even deeper.

Everyone who is seeing it like this is right: http://bzcomplex.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/bzc.jpg

If that is not what you are seeing, I will work on setting up an alternate CSS to trigger in browsers with issues to force the blackish areas to solid black.

Axeminister, is the above image better on your eyes?

Click on the image...

squirrelof09

DNS lookup error
DNS lookup error
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Nielk1

That's odd, I'm looking right at it.

Click on the image...

Angstromicus

DNS lookup error

DNS lookup error

We're stuck with 6 at work...  and it's all grey/light blue, very unreadable.

At home on Firefox or through IE7 it looks ok...

-Av-

Nielk1

This weekend I will add a special IE6 CSS and modify the png script to only mess with forground imaages (if I can). I will also modify the script to run on a fixed location for the dummy image because right now when you go the blog page you are treated to some floating red Xes.

Click on the image...