• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Some questions about the ISDF bridge ramp and segment objects

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, February 28, 2008, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

The terrain_h object looks like nothing more then a deformed plane object on the bottom of the bridge assembly. Also, the collision_hc object looks like a shell type object over the ramp object. I also noticed that many of the other objects resemble shell type objects as well. Are these conventions done for practical reasons in simplifying the design of the ramp for the game engine? In designing my own versions of such objects I developed a habit of adding the separated objects into library folders of my gsl installation; it's relatively simple to do and helps me to mimic the original parts of this and other bzii props. On a side topic about the terrain_h plane type object can deformed planes serve as terrain sculpting tools, i.e., making perfectly sloped grades, recessed terrain, mounds, etc? Anyways, tanks for any feedback on either of these issues...BNG

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

QuoteOn a side topic about the terrain_h plane type object can deformed planes serve as terrain sculpting tools,
sections of terrain created with the environ.export console command can be used to shape map terrain, so you can recreate the same shapes over and over again.
Normally the terrain and terrain__h are the same shape when made via the console command.
Collision__hc objects are used to simplify the collision object of a building, if a building does not have one its structure is used to determine the collision. High poly buildings benefit from a simple collision object because calculating collisions can use allot of pc resource.
Or gun towers, for example, have an animated turret, that cannot be used as a collision object, so you create a simple collision frame to cover the base and the turret.
If you cannot make the collision__hc simpler than the (un-animated) building, there is little point in having one. Animated buildings, extractors, power gens etc should have collision__hc

Nielk1

As mrtwosheds beat me to, you can export terrain from bz2 into XSI files, and then re import it and place them around the map to keep your deformations.

I wonder how big they can be? I have been wodering for a while if I could use 3DS MAX to make a map using a large grid plane and restricting the movement of the poinst up and down.

Click on the image...

I posted some 'ramp' terrain objects some time ago that can be used to make perfectly smooth ramps, just place them and they go 'poof' when exiting the editor, leaving no scrap behind but a nicely sloped hill instead...

Objects can be the size of maps.  I don't know what effect that would have if it were given a collision object but I've dropped non-collideable objects in the engine the size of the entire map...

You can't tell me you haven't mistakenly made something the size of a small moon and dropped it in the editor???  It's cool to fire up a map and realize you're a speck on the surface of the object you were working on...  :)

-Av-

bigbadbogie

i once made an isdf scout about half the size of a map - it was really fun to drive it over the FE SP maps and crush everything
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Zero Angel

if only there was some way to spawn one of those in a pilot DM...
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Feared_1

Holy CRAP!

I can't even imagine what people would say in a ZST (other than "GOD-ZILLAAAAAAHHHH", of course).

Quote from: Avatar on February 28, 2008, 02:55:49 PMI posted some 'ramp' terrain objects some time ago that can be used to make perfectly smooth ramps, just place them and they go 'poof' when exiting the editor, leaving no scrap behind but a nicely sloped hill instead...
OH PICK ME. I WANT ONE.

Red Devil

What box???

Steeveeo

Its a 5 man crew, duh!

One to hit the throttle, one to hit the brake, one to pull the wheel to the left, one to pull it to the right, and one to bark out orders to everyone.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

Feared_1

Does it shoot SUPER MINIGUN? And perhaps FAD Missle (fire and die)?

Steeveeo

15 kiloton warheads mounted in the rocket section and 550 caliber rounds in the gun slots

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Quote from: Feared_1 on February 28, 2008, 09:34:06 PM
OH PICK ME. I WANT ONE.

The ramps?  I don't have any place to host them, but maybe someone else is...

Otherwise PM me an email address to send them to...

-Av-

Spawn

You can still use spike.http.co.il if they are under five megs and post link here.