• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

New Walker Unit Needs Animating...

Started by shane ward, May 13, 2008, 06:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane ward

That looks cool, Any way to make the guns or arms to look more rounded if you are up to it, and it is good for animating.

Thanks for doing the model. It looks great ;) and the way you fixed the leg ;)

Shane
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

Nielk1

Careful tessellation and vertex welding. The welding makes it require UV fixes, but tessellation itself does not.

Click on the image...

Warfreak

Bump: :P

Anyhow, I have most of everything ready to be packed up and tested ingame.... only thing i seem to be missing is the .odf file to make sure the model moves correctly when the correct physics are applied ingame. (IOW: are the animated legs moving at a speed identical to how much distance the walker is meant to cover in 30 seconds)

Walkers are, in Ken's words, "Using the most powerful animation code in the game."  IOW the legs will move according to the physics parameters specified in the ODF.  The animation provides the steps, the code moves them appropriately to achieve the speeds.

This is different than the 'fake walkers' like the pilots and constructors.  They need an 'animation speed' set in the ODF to make the leg motions match the physics.

The main issue with walkers, as far as I can tell, is that the 'foot' objects need pivots AT ground level that never, during the course of the animation, dip BELOW ground level.  If they do bad physics effects happen.

-Av-
(registered walkeraholic)

(Just saw the pics, and darned if it doesn't look like FROGGER with an attitude...  and guns  :)  )  You just HAVE to make a good 'jump' animation for it...  :)  )

shane ward

Quote from: Warfreak on June 24, 2008, 10:01:00 AM
Bump: :P

Anyhow, I have most of everything ready to be packed up and tested ingame.... only thing i seem to be missing is the .odf file to make sure the model moves correctly when the correct physics are applied ingame. (IOW: are the animated legs moving at a speed identical to how much distance the walker is meant to cover in 30 seconds)

As far as I am aware, Yes, I normaly use all the constructors animation, But not sure on the speed thingy. Also If possible to have a death animation where all the parts blow up in a way. Like it exploded. If you are feeling adventrus ;)

Also I forgot to say a few times, that the texture on the main body of the unit looks like it is slightly off, I do not know if it's the error I gave you or something that was changed when u did the screenshots. Just letting you know ;)

Thanks for doing this, You are a star ;)

P.S How are you at animating Spiders ;)

Hehe
Shane

Warfreak

*wakes up* Huh... oh, i still need te .odf to see how i should animate the feets to run/walk, other than that, done.

Warfreak

Your walker is finished  :-D

Im jsut making finishing touches, adding a dance animation which i will keep for myself, and zip it all up (the .max, .xsi, and ill leave you to make the .msh :P)

shane ward

Bravo mate ;) ummmm dance..... That unit is not supposed to dance, not what the unit is supposed to be :P hehe.

Anyway thanks for the animation. I might have something else later but I am not that far yet ;) hehe

Shane

mrtwosheds

Include the dance animation! and an odf entry for it.
The stock dll's will never call it, by scripts can.  :lol:

shane ward

Bumping, Guess what,

Not working propely, Sent E-mail to Warfreak hope he can fix.

Shane

Warfreak

:? Ill get on that ASAP..... should have it done today.....

EDIT: Yeah, i see the problem.... accidentally named one of the moving parts "head".  :|

Warfreak

Too lazy to edit my last post..... :-D

@Shane: I found the problem......... if you fast forward the walk animation (which oy udid when yo ugave it in the run slot) they do the bunny hop :P
             Anywya, everythign else seems to work fine....

shane ward

OK, before it did not want to turn when I controled the unit, I have included everything in the zip so if you add it into battlezone 2 you will see what I mean. Just zip and send me the file when done ;)

Thank you for your help... Thought you might be doing something else ;) glad to see you are around to help with this walker, what you think of the new skin?

Shane

Dianoga4

The one thing I am determined and need to get working is walkers, so far no luck heh.

Dia

Warfreak

That walker is wierd....... cant get it to walk. :lol:

So, gonna edit the walk animation to be longer.... hopefully that works.