• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Does a terrain class object work as true terrain?

Started by Warfreak, July 11, 2008, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfreak

What im asking is if the object has a certain place in itself that replicates an ingaem terrain grid and is give the terrain class, can it be built upon by constructors and deployables?

Yes.  Some of the terrain on Pluto are just objects, and can be built by a constructor.

You can also build objects that 'sculpt' the terrain they're built on.  For example I've got a series of ramps I made that can also be built via cons, which go 'poof' a second later leaving a true terrain ramp behind.

-Av-

CmptrWz

But if the terrain object itself is still there then, as an object, you can't build on it. Which was the original question, I believe.

Unless someone drastically changed things while I wasn't looking, anyway.

VSMIT

If it's coded like Av's ramp objects, then it wouldn't matter, because the object would disappear, leaving terrain that can be built upon.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

bigbadbogie

Except that the terrain will morph to a form that can be suited. Like if you have an overhanging rock terrain object it will only go to the point before the overhang begins.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

so lets see... if you built a powered object on a buildable 8x8 square, with a not 8x8 square next to it... with me so far?

you could tap a 'terrain class' object onto the powered building, that would shape the terrain underneath it into say another 8x8 buildable level square? make it go poof and it leaves the buildable terrain behind?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Warfreak

This isnt going where i had in mind, lol.....

Im not TRYING to fake making buildable terrain... Im trying to MAKE terrain objects that still are buildable upon, but i have another way i thought up of pulling off what i want to....

Oops...  I guess I didn't read it right the first time through.

No, you can't build on 'fake' terrain.  The cliffs on Pluto are an example...

-Av-

TheJamsh

there is one way of doing it with taps

so long as you only want one type of building on this 'platform' just use the autobuild = 0 setting under [PoweredBuildingClass]. of course, it wouldnt be a terrain object in that case... hmm what exactly are you trying to do?

General BlackDragon

if ownsterrain = 0 u might be able to build on them. Collisions might be...wierd.

also might like to use clearbuildzone thingy to off for those objects....dunno..

*****General BlackDragon*****

I was thinking something like that too, like when you could build a GS on top of a Jammer... but true collisions depend on owning terrain so something like the Pluto cliffs wouldn't work right.

-Av-

BNG Da BZ Fool

Could it be done with the constructor via the upgrade thingy like I've seen done in mods likes Starfleet? That mod seems to have several level upgrades. At least with the Scion assets. It's pretty cool to do stuff like that. Kudo's to BM, and others who actually understand how get this stuff implemented. Seems like a workaround may be possible if everybody clunks heads and do a little brain storming?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

TheJamsh

BNG can i just say you perfectly solved my bridge problem... dont aks how... you just have =]

expect buildable bridges soon in BZII!

bigbadbogie

Upgrade a brige segment and the upgraded version will create another tapped one at the end - and then you upgrade that one. And if you upgrade one twice, its tap will be changed to the end of the bridge. Nice idea. :-)
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

General BlackDragon

Yes very nice idea :)

Gotta know how to setup the model taps right though.... :)

*****General BlackDragon*****