• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

nub problem

Started by redrighthand, October 07, 2008, 09:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrighthand

hey all.

i know this isn't reeeaally the right forum for this. but since you dont have a nub forum...

i havn't played this game in years, (though i used to be *stupid* :)) and im having trouble connecting to games, they just time-out on me.

since i updated to this public patch they all appear red with a (V), which i think means i need the gamespy arcade 1.2, so i download gamespy, but version 2.0 is the only version i can find. and im still just getting time-outs on everything.

i can host a game and a person joined, and played till my comp froze.

please let me know if you can tell me what im doing wrong.

Steeveeo

You need BATTLEZONE 2 v1.2, not GSA. That should be the problem.

Also, if you're going to use internet speak, do it right; its spelled "noob", not "nub", the latter is something you have after you cut a finger off...

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Feared_1

Quote from: Steeveeo on October 07, 2008, 11:06:13 PMAlso, if you're going to use internet speak, do it right; its spelled "noob", not "nub", the latter is something you have after you cut a finger off...
Actually, it's "newb" (short for "newbie"). Nice "welcome back" statement.

Redrighthand, you patched Battlezone II to 1.3. That's why you couldn't join games. When you hosted one, a 1.3 player joined. You froze because you eventually became unlucky, we'll say (AntiVirus decided to download something, for example).

You said you played a long time ago so you might already be aware of some of the following, but I figure I should being it up anyway.

I would recommend keeping 1.3, reinstalling Battlezone II to a different directory so you have 2 of the same game, and patching the second one with 1.2. That way you can play both and experience both of their advantages.

1.3 has a smaller community with less errors/lag, MUCH less.
1.2 has a MUCH larger community, but you will experience more errors and lagging.

General BlackDragon

Yeah. I'd make 2 installs, one for 1.3pb4a, one for 1.2.

1.2 - Older, Warpier, but all the "skilled" players that use warp/hover bugs 24/7.

1.3 - Tons of bugs and exploits fixed, much more stable but its relatively new so smaller community. Great mods in the making for it.

*****General BlackDragon*****

lucky_foot

I second GBD.

It allows you to play with ALL the community instead of just one part. Whatever ya feel like.

"I'm going to play 1.2 today." type setup.
Jonathan S.

Axeminister

Just turn your auto-protect off on Norton to eliminate most of the lock ups. I also play 1.2 and 1.3pb4a. Life is good.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

redrighthand

hey thanks for the help guys, didn't realise there was such a divide in the community of active players.

wondering if i could trouble you about one more new issue i'm having while playing 1.2 (ill test 1.3b4 after i type this). my mouse is 'jamming up' pretty frequently, then even worse when i hit escape and try to fiddle with the settings. i've got all my controls set to 200% (thats how i used to have them i think). is this just lag? it making games unplayable for me, even at 300 ping (im on a 2.6MB/s dl connection in australia btw).

oh and steeveeo, nub is a derived noun of noob, which is derived from newb/ie... i like it cause it lets me call people nublet and subnub  :-D

Axeminister

You can reset your mouse on the last page in options. I've had to do it once.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

OvermindDL1

I thought "newb" was someone who was new, "noob" was a derogatory term for someone who refused to play correctly, and have never heard of 'nub' beyond its definition of "a small lump or protuberance".

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

thats overmind... he often says things none of us mere mortals understand :D

nublet amused me. i have a sad facination with silly words like that... like when Red Devil said Kerflooey

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

I thought the same as OM.

Well, I've heard of nub (I pronounce it as its spelled), and newblet/nooblet/nublet.

Sie sind ein kleines nublet! :lol:

Click on the image...

Steeveeo

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on October 10, 2008, 12:44:22 PM
I thought "newb" was someone who was new, "noob" was a derogatory term for someone who refused to play correctly, and have never heard of 'nub' beyond its definition of "a small lump or protuberance".

Exactly.

There is a difference from "derivative" and "corrupted version."

Nub, in this situation, is about on the same lines as "lulz". Both are corrupted versions of their root words, basically bastard children of 4chan, and have no place on a self respecting forum such as this.

</minirant>

Feared_1

"How to be annoying":
Quote from: Total Oblivion Omnis on October 09, 2008, 08:47:00 PM
* Correct somebody for pronouncing words wrong.

OvermindDL1

"If you do not know how to say a word, they do not say the word at all."

Steeveeo

Im siding with OM on this one :P