• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.3 pb4a

Started by Hurricane, October 16, 2008, 05:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane

Why isn't there as many players on 1.3?
-It has more bug fixes
-More stable units
-Better AI
etc.

Personally 1.3 dwarfs 1.2 in most ways, except for the flying bug (something I only learned to compete in VET games.)

P.S. Is g66 2 going to coincide with 1.3pb4a?

TheJamsh

bah you dont need G66 for pb4a, in fact i think a lot of that stuff is already included...

theres a lot of controversy amongst 1.2 players. theyve tried to shut down 1.3 development numerous times, they dont think its the same game i think. however, even the 1.2 patch is UN-Official, they just dont seem to accept that (majority of them)

i also believe physics have changed a lot since 1.2, some people prefer them, although commando and others have done work to try and restore them to former glory. the newer physics have a more refined feel in my opinion.

also, those who call themselves 'Vets' are very good at the battlezone version they use, and they take advantage of all the bugs in the game. i was under the impression that was called 'cheating', but apparently not.

i installed 1.3 and havent gone back since apart from to play FE, but RD's doing work to bring that up to Pb4a, as soon as he does, 1.2 will be gone forever!

the AI in 1.3 is undoubtably better. i got so aggravated with 1.2, the AIP's where shocking, the AI didnt build archers, titans or maulers, and even if they did they were wiped out in seconds because of awful aiming etc.

there are also a LOT more maps compatible with 1.2. im doing some work in the dark right now to get a 1.3 map pack bringing all the 1.2' VST maps etc.

1.2 has its quirks, but i think 1.3 is far superior. good for GSH and Ultraken!

ps, good game the other night =]

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

And if i recall, Natty is working on updating g66 to work in pb4 better.

*****General BlackDragon*****

jack_soundcraft

and on this subject i say yea and amen .cant find a game like this one .1.3 beta 4 a is the improved version even though i liked 1.2 and all it had . if this project stopped me and my team would be disappointed .

cheesepuffly

Fix that 3 player limit on servers and i would say this version is perfect.

(if you have played enough 1.3pb4a games you know what im talking about.)
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Commando

Yeah, the lagout bug is the main reason I took a long break from bz2.  It's pretty discouraging knowing I've been doing my fair share of testing, and try to get even more in, but because only a select few testers help in testing, bugs like this make it into the public betas.

I have the Transformation AV (dlfree AV) reproduced and have a savegame for GSH.  I also have a sound code crash reproduced that occurs on the same map.  Both bugs were found at about the same time.  Both have savegames uploaded so they can be fixed.  I doubt they have been looked at since GSH has been busy with Sabetur since crunch time has started.

Nielk1

I feel bad cause I was the 4th man testing when I had to slow way down. If I was there more we would have seen the lag out bug.

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

Yeah the lag out bug would have been difficult to find because it only occurs on games which have more than 3 players. From what i've observed looking at games alone was that the private games never had more than 2 players on at a time. And also, a lot of them were related to specific modding projects.

I was hoping that the bug would immediately get fixed and then pb4b released a few days later since the lag bug is a critical bug if I ever seen one -- at least before the patch had time to propagate too much. If you have x/6 or x/8 games going on, then more testing is getting done, and so is the chance to catch any bugs that arise and might be missed by others.

I would like to suggest also that some 1.3 friendly vets be added to the private team. Its already quite known that those who play a fair share of 1.2 are straight up players who have 1) A balanced view of gameplay dynamics and 2) the potential to log in several competitive games -- and thusly they can also pick up bugs that others miss. So long as they like 1.3 and have no huge issues about flying being removed, they would probably be rather constructive about testing it -- and getting some actual multiplayer games arranged instead of 1 player or 2 player games.

If thats the case they will need orientation, or ground rules to follow such as:

- No discussing flying
- Do not suggest balance tweaks, except in a designated balance thread (rec variants are for balancing, but the default rec should have a decent amount of balance to compensate for changes introduced in pb4a)
- Do not request major feature additions (ie: 1.3 should be looking towards feature freezing)
- Do not request any feature additions for specific modding projects unless they meet at least two of the following criteria: (1) easy to fix (2) fix a MAJOR annoyance that are applicable to nearly all modding projects (finished or upcoming), or (3) fix a perceived bug or other annoyance introduced by a previous feature change
- Do not press your points or requests too much, if it is rejected than there's a good reason for that.
- Try to keep in touch with each other to arrange games -- post your MSN or other IM addresses to (designated thread)

You know, stuff like that. :)

QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Commando

Yeah we definately need some competitive players in the team.  I think that's why pb1 had less bugs than the other public betas.  Before pb1, we had Fried, Aougi, Aegeis, and several other 1.2 vets that helped with testing.  Now all we have are a few testers and a bunch of modders.

The lag out bug was caught by GBD before the patch went live, but because he didn't get the bug on stock assets, we figured it was BZC's dll which was experimental at the time.

cheesepuffly

In my opinion, atleast, im not trying to boss GSH around, but all of his bz2 time should be spent fixing that, i mean that is a real big thing in my opinion. The fix? Don't know how hard that will be.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

TheJamsh

i agree heavily with reason number five... i read in a changelog that people bitched at him about getting aircraft working, he added a few bits but didnt do everything because people were pressing him too much, which is understandable...

has anyone found the reason for the lag out bug? it DID start occuring in PB4 am i right? all previous versions are okay?

remember tho cheese, GSH has a busy day job. and BZ2 time is only because he likes doing it, if that changes we are bummed over.

Axeminister

He wanted everyone to play it for a while first, before going in and fixing anything or making 1.3pb5.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

General BlackDragon

Well, I agree with everyone. The #1 item should be the lag out bug, and the #2 fog bug. After that, get some vet strat players that want to test in and let them find more bugs.

*****General BlackDragon*****

TheJamsh

oh i noticed one, you know the amb_wind.wav sound that plays when youre ship goes above its regualr altitude, that can sometimes stick... i havent figured out what conditions cause it yet, but once i nail it down ill report back...

its annoying as hell, and doesnt stop even if you hop out or anything...

Commando

If you guys keep demanding a quick pb4b patch, GSH may get annoyed and stop working on 1.3 alltogether.  Just FYI, he has already indicated he is getting annoyed at the demands he has been seeing lately.