• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Activision doesnt want your one-hit wonder!

Started by Steeveeo, November 12, 2008, 01:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeveeo

It has come to this...

Vivendi Universal, Blizzard, Activision, and Sierra Entertainment have all merged into one, huge, ginormous, lumbering idiot factory.

This merger, in the interest of business, has cancelled many games that were not able to spawn sequels for the company rerelease each years. Among the cancelled: Ghostbusters, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, and Brutal Legend, all because they didnt have the "potential to be exploited every year [...] with clear sequel potential." WTF?!

What didnt get shot out the airlock? Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Ice Age, of course, more beaten dead horses and a movie game...

Source Permalink.

So...is this what video games have come down to? The shear volume of bullcrap that can be forcefed to the masses in hopes that cash can be earned? Activision may have put out a game that this entire community loves and plays, but I for one am going to...postpone...buying any new games from these companies for a while, hopefully until they cut the crap...

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

Well, i doubt one customer will make all the difference.

But its always been that way, companies only give a rats about making money. BZ2 didnt, hence BZ3 was never and will never be made.

Its a known fact that the older games are better. Yeh newer ones have graphics and fancy hoot, but everythings been done now. its the storyline you want. i probably wouldnt have played any of those games anyway.

EVERYONE has crash bandicoot! why have they stopped makign those games??? they rock!

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

SkyNET

Anyone remember when games were made by 2 guys in a garage?

I have more fun playing Doom and Total Annihilation than any modern FPS or RTS. Racing games? I played Screamer all the time when I was a kid. It fit on a FLOPPY. Remember floppies? You could fit a whole game on them at one point. I remeber playing Hocus Pocus and those other games.

I played Wolfpack and Armored Fist, and SkyNET. I modded Duke3D for most of my life. C&C1 and RA1 were the only good games in the series. I still LAN some of these games, because they're fun(when they work).

Also, I miss my Commodore 64. *Ammo* progress. Give me rough pixely graphics anyday.

lucky_foot

Jonathan S.

SkyNET

ROTT! I forgot about ROTT. That's another good one. I'm pretty sure it started deathmatch too.

I also miss when PC Gamer was as thick as a phonebook.

@lucky_foot:Marathon was an awesome series too. God, why can't bungie produce any quality stuff anymore?

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

SkyNET

Crash Bandicoot was a popular Playstation series. I never had a PS, and the only PS games i played were Spyro and an Asteroids remake.

I re-read the article, they cancelled a Riddick sequel? That was stupid, Riddick:BB was fantastic.

Edit:The game is still in dev, just looking for a publisher.

mrtwosheds

Its much cheaper and easier to just sell again, the same thing you sold before.
Genius and creativity are clearly over rated attributes when it comes to just making allot of money, and people do love buying again what they have bought before and enjoyed, especially if they have to go and buy a whole new computer and operating system just to do it again.
When they have made allot of money they can buy the genius and creativity should it raise its slimy spot infested head in "their" market place.
The problem with computer games is that we have to pay upfront, before we know if its worth its price.

GSH

Frankly, originality and quality are orthagonal (== independent) qualities. Blizzard's games have never really been original. But, they're very well polished, and have sold very well. I'd also say that Fallout3 is very well polished, and it's great to see it sell 4.7 million copies its first week. Portal's pretty original, and did well. That's not to say that quality sometimes doesn't go unrewarded -- Ico on the PS2 sold criminally low, as did Psychonauts, The Longest Journey, and a lot more.

-- GSH

CivBase

Quote from: TheJamsh
But its always been that way, companies only give a rats about making money. BZ2 didnt, hence BZ3 was never and will never be made.
Yah, but I'd kinda wish that Activision would make it a classic game for the xbox live marketplace.... I think that'd be pretty fun, and Microsoft would make a killing.

Quote from: SkyNET
C&C1 and RA1 were the only good games in the series.
Well....... I kinda like RA2; but yah, the newer CnC games suck.  I still remember playing RA1 all the time when I was younger and never knowing what I was doing.  :-D

Quote from: lucky_foot
You mean when Bungie started making games?
Marathon FTW!  Nah, I actualy like Halo (and the storyline is awsome), but the new FPS games (COD4&5, BF: Bad Company, ect) seem lacking.  I was bored playing Bad Company after the first two levels and though COD 4 had a great storyline, the online mulitplayer sucked because the only way to get good guns was to spend your life on it.  And COD WaW is a complete copy with updated graphics and new skins placed on the guns.
Nobody makes their own games anymore... they just take the last one, dust it off, and add a new coat of paint.  That's why I love Battlezone, it's actualy orriginal.

Quote from: SkyNET
Crash Bandicoot was a popular Playstation series. I never had a PS, and the only PS games i played were Spyro and an Asteroids remake.
Yah, I never had a PS either.  Spyro... Tomb Raider... Crash... most of those PS games never looked any good.  That's why I went to Xbox.  Sure, PS has a lot of games, but that means nothing if none of the games are any good.

Quote from: mrtwosheds
The problem with computer games is that we have to pay upfront, before we know if its worth its price.
Well... not necessaraly.... :wink:
J/k

Quote from: GSH
Portal's pretty original, and did well.
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
Yah, portal was fun and, to me, mind boggling.

Nielk1

I love RA2 and RA2YR, can't wait for the custom coded DLL injection cracks to get going for that so I can custom code elements.

I can't wait to have the portal gun in GMOD. I think I have to wait for HL2EP3 and its incarnation of the source engine though. Lets hope Gordon gets it off the Borealis.

Ah, what if we get BZ2 into the source engine! Picture a tank that can open portals directly on the map and hover tanks that can fly though them to sneak attack. Eat that Scions with your damn blink...

Click on the image...

SkyNET

YR was decent as it provided a counter to EA's oh so overpowered superweapons. Gameplay was also significantly improved. I still refuse to consider it an actual C&C, due to chesse and butchery of the story.

CivBase

YR wasn't developed by EA, it was developed by Westwood before they were overthrown and bought out by EA.

Angstromicus

I just got RA3 today, and I must say it seems like an utter pile of crap so far. My two favorites are still: CnC: Tiberium Sun and Emperor: Battle for Dune (personal favorite). Although, CnC 3 was pretty cool as well. Also, it's interesting that CnC3 has far better graphics than RA3. I even heard that RA3 runs slower than CnC3, but I can't tell the difference because they're both pieces of cake for a GTX 280 to run. But, seriously, the weapons effects in RA3 look like they came from a game made 5 years ago  :|. Though, RA3 has the best water graphics I've seen in any RTS game yet.

SkyNET

Quote from: CivBase on November 12, 2008, 04:46:44 PM
YR wasn't developed by EA, it was developed by Westwood before they were overthrown and bought out by EA.

I'm pretty sure you mean Tiberian Sun.