• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

A little something.

Started by Blue_Leader, April 26, 2009, 07:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue_Leader

Alot of time and dedication has been put forth into this game and I've not heard much appreciation for the work that has been done for it thus far (Mainly 1.2 players.) although currently, I'm not active in the game right now I'm still watching all the work that the testers and programmers have been doing for 1.3 and not even getting anything in return amazes me. I don't have money, or anything worth of value i could think of for the hard work put in by everybody working on 1.3 or even those trying to get more players into the game.

This game has a dying community and hopefully somehow after all the long years this game has been out we can find a way to turn around and start getting more players and working on a more stable and reliable version of the game we love just seems like a perfect example. It seems as if the veterans of this game have stopped caring about the game in whole which is odd considering in most community's it is those that we should look to for answers of course this doesn't apply to them all, but from what I've read on the BZ2maps site it seems like they think they are trying to compete or something like it's another game. But in the end it isn't they are the same game just one side has a much more dedicated player base behind it that i could see going places.

Anyways, to cut this long and random topic short, I just would like to thank those who made this possible and for those who still truly believe this game is worth, and capable of saving, it isn't much but keep up the good work guys. People still do appreciate what you all do even if some don't show it.

Feared_1

AHadley

Seconded, and indeed, thanks to all who have worked on the patch, expecially GSH and Ultraken. Awesome work, guys :)

Purplehaze

I have just relized that i was never truely thankful (mostly because i was suprised of the fast release) but now, I see that I owe all of you a thanks

Thanks alot, I've seen more and more games up with a larger playerbase, New stuff makes people come back for more, Prehaps i can spread the word across all of the sites I know, Thank you guys.
Hey you, Yeah you, In that window, hop outta there.

wasd

TheJamsh

BZ2 is definately a more playable game with TA5. I love it even more!

Once some of the greater mods are patches into it, itll be flawless in my opinion. I too have seen more games up. Well find a use for that scrollbar one day. I hope more players join the forum and visit the community and drop in. Too many players dont become part of the community.

Im gonna pass the game onto a friend shortly, see what he makes of it :)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

appel

I like the new TA5, and have been playing some MPI lately on it.

My general feeling is:
- The AI still needs a lot of improving. AI units do not react if they are attacked from a distance, scavs get stuck on gun towers or other buildings, and an AI team/player doesn't seem to have any plan when e.g. base is attacked, their pool is attacked.
- Models, textures, and other graphics are outdated. The environment could surely look a whole lot better with some shader help, e.g. parallax occlusion mapping, soft shadows, and a rework/update on BZ2 models. Volumetric fog, ambient occlusion, etc. Tons of new methods out there.

I'm pretty sure this could be accomplished without altering the BZ2 gameplay and storyline. But I realize this is entirely unrealistic for GSH to accomplish.

Nielk1

If we change the look they will whine.

Click on the image...

appel

Quote from: Nielk1 on April 28, 2009, 06:33:02 PM
If we change the look they will whine.

1.3 has already been dismissed, so there is nothing to worry about.

VSMIT

Quote from: appel on April 28, 2009, 06:36:15 PM
1.3 has already been dismissed, so there is nothing to worry about.
Only by some.  Don't use generalities.  They make you look like an ass.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

appel

Quote from: VSMIT on April 28, 2009, 06:42:59 PM
Only by some.  Don't use generalities.  They make you look like an ass.

VSMIT.

I use whatever language I want to get my point of view across.

Fact is, 1.3 isn't played. So, what harm is done in improving the graphical quality to get it played?

Blue_Leader

Quote from: appel on April 28, 2009, 06:31:34 PM
I like the new TA5, and have been playing some MPI lately on it.

My general feeling is:
- The AI still needs a lot of improving. AI units do not react if they are attacked from a distance, scavs get stuck on gun towers or other buildings, and an AI team/player doesn't seem to have any plan when e.g. base is attacked, their pool is attacked.
- Models, textures, and other graphics are outdated. The environment could surely look a whole lot better with some shader help, e.g. parallax occlusion mapping, soft shadows, and a rework/update on BZ2 models. Volumetric fog, ambient occlusion, etc. Tons of new methods out there.

I'm pretty sure this could be accomplished without altering the BZ2 gameplay and storyline. But I realize this is entirely unrealistic for GSH to accomplish.

Your post seemed pretty legit until you started ragging on GSH the guy has done nothing wrong other than making a patch to help keep the game alive in his spare time he doesn't get enough credit where it is deserved as it is now you are asking him for all this extra stuff? It's amazing enough that he has added all the features that is currently in the game It's far better than 1.2 in the amount of features. I don't see you trying to better the game in anyway he is at least trying, unlike most people.

Edit: Appel i don't have anything against you personally, i remember playing games of 1.2 with you awhile ago and you seem like a really nice guy, i just don't appreciate how little appreciation GSH gets from everybody when the guy hasn't done anything wrong.

VSMIT

Quote from: appel on April 28, 2009, 06:48:57 PM
I use whatever language I want to get my point of view across.

Fact is, 1.3 isn't played. So, what harm is done in improving the graphical quality to get it played?
Just because you can't see 1.3 games in 1.2, it doesn't mean that there aren't games going on.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

GreenHeart

Quote from: appel on April 28, 2009, 06:48:57 PM

Recently I've been seeing quite afew 1.3 pb5\ta5 sessions being hosted.  When i look at the game listing atm, i see the same amount of players in both 1.2 & 1.3.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

appel

What did I say that made you guys turn all defensive? It's like red alert here, intrusion detected!!  :|

All I stated are the facts as I see them, no matter what your sentimental feelings are towards GSH or this game or 1.3 patch:

- GSH is one programmer. As a programmer myself with a semi game programming knowledge I know what amount of work is involved in what I'm suggesting, so that's why I claim GSH cannot accomplish this alone. Also, it has also been suggested on these forums that GSH is not a graphics programmer, and that's why "shaders didn't get added" in this build. There is no need to interpret my feedback as an attack on GSH.

- I've started 1.3 a few times over the past few weeks, and there aren't many games up, if any. In fact, the same applies to 1.2. Me saying that nobody plays 1.3, well, that's an observation I've made. I could also claim that nobody plays 1.2, and the same is true. In fact, I would simply say that almost nobody plays BZ2 and be correct.

I'm not attacking anyone, not this patch, not this game, not GSH. Geesh.

Stand down robots :)

bigbadbogie

Quote- I've started 1.3 a few times over the past few weeks, and there aren't many games up, if any. In fact, the same applies to 1.2. Me saying that nobody plays 1.3, well, that's an observation I've made. I could also claim that nobody plays 1.2, and the same is true. In fact, I would simply say that almost nobody plays BZ2 and be correct.

There are nearly always a few games up for both patches.

QuoteFact is, 1.3 isn't played. So, what harm is done in improving the graphical quality to get it played?

Isn't played? It is played all the time. And I am quite sure that we have already been improving the graphical quality of the game.
The only things standing between BZ2 looking nearly as good as Crysis are the old and rusty stock textures. Maybe we should redo them for the next 1.3 patch. (God I'm being hopeful by saying that).
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com