• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Some renders

Started by NoStr0m0, April 28, 2009, 11:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

It could work as a hovercraft...

SAV seems to suit. could have animated wings if you choose carefully... it looks kind cool, almost zombified and dead...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

I don't know, I can imagine a rather graceful landing for that thing.

TheJamsh

NoStr0m0

Preliminary results point the Mauler as the next unit.
It would be fitting, since I started the ISDF side with the Attila LM.

This week is very full for me so I'll let this running until next weekend, although I think I know who the winner will be.
" 'Till the world burned! "

TheJamsh

forget that... Battlezone II The Movie!

TheJamsh

just downloaded the avi

good grief man that is incredible! i LOVE things like this. and like Avatar says... it really puts these bio-metal machines into perspective...

NoStr0m0

What do you maen "just"?  What have you been doing from the beginning of this thread?

Anyway...

I hate to be the one to do this but:

The "Battlezone 2 - The movie" idea has been flung around before but the sad reality of it is this: to make a movie, even a short one, you need a lot of work done and a lot of dedication. Trust me, I've tried making several short movies on my own and I'm still working on them, after several years because, the workload is huge, time is finite and I have to juggle between school, homework, and Lightwave and also, it's really hard to work and work and work without knowing if something will come of it. Motivation is difficult to maintain, even with yourself, not to mention 30 other people you don't know or, take our case, haven't even see. I quit more times than I can count only to come back after a while, but that's not productive.

For a purely 3D movie, you need to model, texure and light everything, every piece of paper on a street, every rock in the background. Normal movies have it easy, they just scout for locations and shoot there, after God did all the real work.
Also, a good script is a must, even more so than in conventional films, because a good script can hide some flaws in the 3D movie just like actors would hide it in conventional.

A director is just as important, because, and I take myself as example. I have a few ideas about how stuff works, but there have been many times when I did a render and something just felt off, only to be told by a friend of mine who knows his stuff that the camera was centered badly and the motion should have been on the diagonal because it's a depressing moment and so on and son forth.

And the list goes on.

I would love to be able to participate in such a great endeavor, not only because BZ 2 is the game first I had on my first ever PC and it's been close to my heart ever since, but because it would be such a great achievement to actually finish it.

I have kinda started something, with the detailed units, but as you can see from the frequency of my new posts, it's hard work.

BUT

and there's always a but. if you really want to try something new, make a model. Of anything in the game. And I mean anything. Since the game is set on far away and unique worlds, almost nothing can be taken from stock models.
Don't know how to model, make a backplate or a texture for something. By backplate I mean a range of mountains with a beautiful sky or the dense tropical jungles of Mire or the hellish molten world of Rend.
Sketches are always welcomed and appreciated. Indoors/outdoors/machine/characters/anything, you name it.
I know some of you know your military so, how about drawing/describing a small dogfigt between say, an ISDF Thunderbolt and a Scion Scout or a Warrior, to raise the stakes.
And even it we don't succeed, the work we don now will be there for others or even ourselves to resume when we're older.

So? Anyone want to try?

TheJamsh

not saying it wouldnt be a challenge, nor is it realistic. but it is amazing!

Steeveeo

Hmm, come to think of it, I was thinking about working on some kickass intro movies for the unnamed SRV campaign eventually down the line.

I have a copy of Vue 6 over here, on a somewhat powerful computer (even then rendering times are a pain, though).

Interested? I'll bring the setting and lighting if you bring the models! :)

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

NoStr0m0

I know about render times, trust me.

And I would love to see what you can do.
Just tell me what models you need.

I presume Vue can handle Lightwave .lwo models, right?

Steeveeo

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Just like to point out...

Any time the Flying Mauler picture shows up on the internet they seem to know about it...  makes them VERY restless in their pen and, quite frankly, it gives me the willies when they're restless. 

:-D

@The BZ2 Movie.

Do it one piece at a time.  Do it with what's already there.  Do it inside the game engine.

1. Someone write a story.  Nothing huge, elaborate, or too crazy, just a good solid story using the BZ2 universe.  Start small, with say just a quick Search and Rescue mission or Base Attack, something like that.

2. Someone turn it into a script.  There are plenty of examples on the internet but you want to specify the setting, characters, dialog and what actions take place for each scene in the movie.  This should probably be done with whoever is going to direct the action, who will also possibly be the cameraman.

3. Cast the characters.   For this sort of thing it'd be just voice-over submissions basically, but it might be a good idea to get together online ingame and see if the actor is MP-warpy/jittery also.

4. Set up a game session and then go through the scenes, one at a time, 'filming' them ingame in online sessions.  Custom maps and Recycler variants might be needed, as well as a 'camera' vehicle along the lines of the "Observer Scout" posted about elsewhere.  This can be the 'camera', and the person operating it will need the ability to capture the audio/video shot during each scene.

5. Take the raw footage and cut it into a movie, then release it to the Community.  Even a four minute Search and Rescue mission might get people excited, after which you'll have more actors and helpers to make the next chapter, or just a longer version, or whatever comes next...

-Av-

Warfreak

So a "Tales From The Battlezone" of sorts.  :-P

Sure...  take it one small bite at a time and it'll be easier to chew.  A small core group could record and edit the footage, using the Community and MP games to provide the action.  Each movie released would fan the fire, and if all the pieces fit together into a larger movie it'd make a great serial...

It might even be interesting to set up a skeleton storyline that evolves based on what happens in 'real' games.  As long as everyone realizes the true intent is to make a movie it'd be a cool way to do it.  Define a couple of sides (ISDF vs SCION, EDF vs CERBERI) make a few custom maps in a setting (DARK PLANET, FACILITY) define a goal (RETRIEVE CRASHED DROPSHIP, CAPTURE RELIC) and then just see who wins...

-Av-

cheesepuffly

Some guy wanted to do that, didnt work.

I vote for archer, those things rock.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!