• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

An example of increased knowledge of Blender and Modeling

Started by Clavin12, July 11, 2009, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfreak

[OT] I wasn't refering to the term "blob modeler" but rather the assumed tone. (not once have I hear "Good God.." in a compliment)
If your Karma dropped it's not me, I don't even touch the damned buttons for that crap. [/OT]

Like I said before, any method that produces roundness adds faces and WILL result in non-BZ2 complient models.

Nielk1

If you are using blobs try adjusting the inbuilt tessellation.

As for the rest, can you post un-enhanced models of lower poly levels? Non smoothed may also be a good idea.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

I know. these are just practice models. Not for Bz2
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

That's fair enough then, but be sure to make something flatter later on.

[OT] I made no mention of blob modelling and made no claim to know anything about it :)[/OT]

Clavin12

I didn't know an ant could cause so much controversy. lol
C l a v i n 1 2

BNG Da BZ Fool

Adding detail where necessary is a good option rather then an excessively high poly count. I like to add edges and draw on the geometry to add more detail by pushing and pulling the geometry around to conform to my preception of what it should look like. That seems to be the magic bullet when detailing a model. Start with a good basic design and then start enhancing it with little points of interest by slowing rotating it in the workspace and adding a touch here and there. I had a ball when I started making some old fastioned Biplanes. Perhaps I'll try making some WWII types as well. You know stuff like the P-38 Lightning, Mustang, Spitfire, Corsair, etc. I figured out that a squashed down sphere and elongated makes a decent wing, rudder and tail assembly. Also, by using using point editing with the rectagular selection tool is a neat way to angle the wings much like those seen on a typical aircraft carrier based air unit.

I still need to learn how to skin and texture my models, but the more I make the more I'm trying to develop a texturing strategy. I was studying one of TV's models and realized trying to extract a decent UV map from a model is harder to do then just use the model outline itself as a template on which to draw/paint a decent texture. I always go nuts when I look at a typical uv map layout and then wonder my God! I think I'm going to have to come up with a sensible alternative method of generating a single texture file. I noticed so far that a 512x512 map doesn't allow for much detail, but a 1024x1024 map allows for quite a bit of fine detail. I don't know about the BZ2 DXT thingy except that my modeler doesn't support the format internally. I've made a few texture maps, but so far they're nothing to brag about.   
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

AHadley

I'm amazed nobody has said it yet, Clavin. Well done with this sudden leap in maturity. Your karma seems to be on the rise.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Clavin12

Um...thnx :?

Well now that I'm in a community project development team I've decided it's time to get down to business. Previously I had nothing to lose.
C l a v i n 1 2

Clavin12

Heres a walker that I made. It's supposed to be a little bit exaggerated if it looks kinda crazy. And I have one question about blender for anyone who knows. Whenever I try to connect two vertices I use the make edge/face tool under the edge menu and the line is always disconnected from the plane it's supposed to be on. Any help?

C l a v i n 1 2

BNG Da BZ Fool

Try to locate the tool for welding vertices. In TS there an icon in the edit options menu to weld selected vertices. Blender, must also have one too.

PS: You might also try creating 2 seperate objects and use the object union tool to spot weld the 2 pieces into one solid object. This worked for me when I needed aircraft prop objects to sit on top of the deck of my carrier as non functional visual objects; I just added an hp in the center of them where the real aircraft spawned from. Blender, must also have the same tool as well.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

divine_crusader

To connect two vertices, select the 2 you want joined and press "f". Not sure what you mean by disconnected from the plane. If you mean your trying to connect two vertices that already are part of a plane (like you trying to split the plane?) then you may want to try Loop/cut. It's the "k" key i believe. Hope that makes sense and helps.

VSMIT

I think what he's trying to accomplish is connecting 2+ verts with a new triangle.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Rocket

nice practice models. :-)

i think the walker needs maybe a bit more detail in the head area... but i guess that's what texturing is there for.

does blender have the tool "bridge" under edge mode? if it does, it's very usefull at times for filling holes.  :wink:
Hidden Defenders Mod

Nielk1

Out of shear coincidence I also have a WIP walker:

I don't use blender though. :roll:

Click on the image...