• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

An example of increased knowledge of Blender and Modeling

Started by Clavin12, July 11, 2009, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VSMIT

In working on TJ's walker (Sorry I haven't done anything...), I've learned how difficult it is to animate a 4-legged walker.  Good luck.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

mrtwosheds

Segmented type walkers are relatively simple, compared to vertex animated ones, but you need to be prepared to spend quite a number of hours on it. Currently trying to remake my Dalek pilot...a nightmare and epic piece of notepad work.

Clavin12

Thank you divine crusader. You solved my problem. I built this as a concept model for a Cthonian Time Portal.

I call it the Time Gate.

C l a v i n 1 2

Clavin12

Srry but apparently you haven't solved my problem. heres what I mean in pictures

The wire form of a sample item

And the Solid form

Hope this clears things up. These are the exact same models.
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

Quote from: Clavin12 on August 12, 2009, 08:04:55 AM
Thank you divine crusader. You solved my problem. I built this as a concept model for a Cthonian Time Portal.

I call it the Time Gate.

Looks a bit small.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

Size is not a boundary. Besides you wouldn't be seeing it in a map.
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

VSMIT

Quote from: Clavin12 on August 12, 2009, 09:19:10 AM
Srry but apparently you haven't solved my problem. heres what I mean in pictures

The wire form of a sample item
*Wireframe*

And the Solid form
*Solid*

Hope this clears things up. These are the exact same models.
Turn the long edges in the pyramid.  That should fix your problem.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

BNG Da BZ Fool

The wire frame version looks like it has some missing edges C. I know in TS when say a vertex is added to a cube object, and that vertex is stretched vertically; to make it complete then 4 new edges need to be added manually to define them correctly. Perhaps that's why in solid view it appears to look normal. I general prefer to display my models with the show edges option on. That way if somethings missing then I'll know to add some extra edges where needed. This seems to help me add detail in key areas of the model piece.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Clavin12

What I want the edge to do is get  the face to fold along it. I'm sure theres a command for it but I couldn't find it. I also want the edge to split the face in two.
C l a v i n 1 2

Warfreak

divine_crusader

You'll have to forgive me if I'm completely misinterpreting what your trying to achieve, but on your sample item, is this how you wanted it to look....

Clavin12

yes exactly. I wanted to know how to get the sample item to do that starting from the state it was in the picture. This is awfully hard to explain in text. anyway here's a more detailed walker with a little mirror to make it look better.

C l a v i n 1 2

divine_crusader

Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Using the sample item, I'm assuming you subdivided the top plane of the cube and you then dragged the middle vertice up. In wire frame it looks fine, but rendered it isn't, so again, I'm assuming, you created edges along the four top vertices that was created when you subdivided the top plane. Here is where your problem is. When you dragged the middle vertice up, the four new planes created for the subdivide don't deform correctly, and the new edges you created won't fix it because they aren't attached to those planes. What you would need to do is delete the middle vertice, and then create those edges (select all four and press "f")...

Then extrude the new plane up (select the plane, press "e" and select "by region")...

Then merge all the vertices together (with four vertices still selected, press "alt-m" and select "at center")...

The you just need to fill in the missing planes at the base of the cube. Hope this makes since and sorry if it's a bit long. Usually I'm the one asking for information, not giving it  :-P

Clavin12

Is there a way to make the faces do that after I made it up the way it was in the pictures? In wings it would snap the faces to the edges automatically...
C l a v i n 1 2