• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

HDD Death

Started by Nielk1, October 02, 2009, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

My HDD died, my newer one, my 320GB and the one that held everything for modding.  EVERYTHING.

Reactor Wars is dead now. So are many other things. I am calling anyone I ever sent anything to so to please reply here and PM me information and a method to download it and have it again.

Jamsh, the SVN is dead, we can export our WCs to get a current look at it, the WC is on my main HDD and thus even if you fubarred I will have it.

The DF DLL can be reconstructed as I included the tack on source in with the beta of the pack. Same with the GH maps. It is simply a matter of loading a stock DLL project, throwing int he new code classes/templates, and running with it.

I will be recovering this data, but it will take a large amount of money and time and effort. I might make a PayPal donate thingy some time later to work on it too, and this will suck in what was going to be my new PC fund.

LMM1 source is safe, the useless mess it is, and thus that can be finalized if any more edits are needed.
MRVP 2.0 is all included in XSI and MSH form so even without the source MAX files for some stuff that will live on.

Aside from LMM1 and MRVP 2.0, I am done modding (for now). I will still be around but I will put my time and effort into other things or getting the money to recover the data. Once that data is recovered I will mod again. I doubt anyone realizes how much was lost here, although it was only a 320 GB HDD, it was compressed and was 90% BZ2 modding. aRc is effectively dead until it is recovered as well.

I will not be passing mods to anyone else if assets are retrieved. Only those already out there for others to work on will have this done (MRVP). I can still beta test Flesh Storm II, so don't worry about that BBB, but aside from testing and consultation I just quit. With how much I lost there is no point in continuing to work on such things. I am put back over 2 years, the 2 most fruitful years I have ever had.

EDIT:
And if anyone knows anything knows anyone who does data recovery plz tell me.

Thinking about these ppl: http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/hard-drive-recovery/ (edit: went with another company, will list later, they were great)

Quote from: Nielk1 on October 19, 2009, 02:28:05 PM
I said I was going to do this so: :-P

Took me a bit to break down the HTML to work for BBCode.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

I just backed up Fleshstorm 2.

This sent a serious chill down my spine.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

I was planning mass backups to DVD this weekend. It died too early.

Click on the image...

technoid

Any idea how/why it died?  Symptoms?  Does it even spin up (by listening)?  Burnt silicon smell?  

I've never used a data recovery service, but I was pondering of doing that once, back in the late 1980's, when a hard drive for a business died (my fault).  It was a 100MB IDE MFM drive (and I still have it, heh).  

Good luck.

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

TheJamsh

If you manage to get the data back, will you work on it again or not? I can't beleive this has happened...

In terms of the pack, can we still get MRVP and DF finished to the same extent we planned or not? I have exported (and backed up) the AP in its current state, along with all my current modding files for serenesis and utilities. Anything you sent me will likely be in there too.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

DF and MRVP will be completed.

RW is dead unless I get the source back.

HDD Clicks very loudly the moment the tower powers it on. Total 6 to 10 clicks have occurred in total, data is likely mostly there, but it will need the platters individually scanned which will cost a ton of money. Some services give you a file index and ask what you want to recover, so IO am trying to get everything I can other than the modding stuff (that MUST be recovered) back from else where.

Click on the image...

Warfreak

What brand HDD was this? I recently bought an HDD which now holds much of my stuff and more is being moved to it every day.

It's not like I haven't already gotten scared into making backups every week but I just want to make sure I didn't just waste money on a fubar HDD.

Nielk1

WD 320gb

That being said I don't HAVE a disposable income, that was the biggest HDD I've ever had, since I don't count the POS Seagate 1.5 TB external I had to exchange and then return.

Click on the image...

AHadley

This is seriously *Ammo*ing scary.

squirrelof09

It's possible to replace the control board on the hard drive. Sometimes that can be the cause of the clicking. ANd that's easy. Just get an identical HD and swap the boards. Maybe the HD is fine and the board just went bad.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Nielk1

Noted I am done modding FOR NOW. Basically everything I ever wanted to work on was started in some form on the drive, so thus I have nothing to mod.

Squirrel, when I say clicking, I am understating. It sounds like Thor's hammer in this thing.

Click on the image...

squirrelof09

Still. The board controls how the hard drive is accessed. As long as your hard drive isn't getting scratched, then there is a possibility that it can be fixed cheaper.

I've had a hard drive have clicking problems.  Replacing the board fixed me right up. Maybe not all cases will be like mine though.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

Nielk1

Would a company that recovers data try this before the clean room step?

Click on the image...

GSH

Clean rooms cost $$$. Depends on how much you're willing to pay them.

Backups are always cheaper than recovery.

-- GSH