• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

(Medium) Scavenger Physics 'bug'

Started by Jwk the Hemp Monkey, June 01, 2005, 02:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bull Dog

Quote from: PhoeniX-FlamEits ******* annoying... I cant stand it... seriously, cons and other units are STILL dumb like a pencil and if you wanna get them to go somewhere you have to push them yourself ---> since 1.3 you cant...
and dont give me that bs that you can with full speed and all that, because you cant
not normaly! sure, you can push them in 1 m an hour (1m gamewise)
but thats not realy pushing

and as for sabres being able to push better, I disagree
because the scouts have more speed and lighter, therfor they could use that 'extra' speed(/power) to push the scav, while tanks dont have same speed as scout and dont have as much 'extra' power to push as the scout

Sabres are way heavyer, therefor they have more powerful thrusters to push the extra wieght of the tank, or more power to push other objects.  IMHO

Spawn

sabres have more mass, but scouts have greater aceleration so we have no way to tell really...
theres no point, its still much harder to push stuff (impossible to go against treads too)

Bull Dog

Quote from: Spawnsabres have more mass, but scouts have greater aceleration so we have no way to tell really...
theres no point, its still much harder to push stuff (impossible to go against treads too)

So the way I see it is that the sabres actually have more of whatever you would equate to torque with an engine of whatever those hover craft use. Scouts are light and therefor don't need lots of low-end "torque", Sabres are a *bit* heavier and as a result need for more of that low-end "torque".

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Gummo.nz

Someone go get Mowerman already..

PhoeniX-FlamE

gave it abit more thought, anyways,

it all depends, and I dont think we can tell - what I thought at start was that scouts and tanks use the same engine, and because the tank is heavier its slower, and if they both have the same engine than scout should push better.... after replying I started thinking prephes the tank got more weight AND a more powerful engine, in that case - it should push faster...

so, it all depends and I dont think we realy tell

Bob the Dinosuar

Quote from: Bull DogSo the way I see it is that the sabres actually have more of whatever you would equate to torque with an engine of whatever those hover craft use. Scouts are light and therefor don't need lots of low-end "torque", Sabres are a *bit* heavier and as a result need for more of that low-end "torque".

Does this make any sense to anyone?

It makes sense, many sports cars could probably out run (do I dare say a Hummer? they don't go that fast do they?), some bigger pickup trucks, easily, but do you think a ferrari could haul my camper around? no.

in short, I think scouts have much more speed, but tanks have more 'thrust'

so it's like comparing a light-weight sports car, to a heavy-weight pickup truck

and if they were any faster, Assult Tanks could be Semi-Rigs  :lol:

Quote from: AvatarI love tossing AssTanks around with Sonic in 1.3, you slowly rotate them to get them lined up and then ZING them off along the lines of their treads...  

you should see a mauler after it's hit with a fully charged MAG in 1.2, It actually flew untill it hit the map wall.

scav's had a similar effect, but they didn't seem to 'fly'

technoid

I've had better luck pushing stuff with Sabres/Warriors/heavierhovercraft in 1.3 due to said mass and wider frontal collision box area.

Bull Dog

Quote from: Bob the Dinosuar
It makes sense, many sports cars could probably out run (do I dare say a Hummer? they don't go that fast do they?), some bigger pickup trucks, easily, but do you think a ferrari could haul my camper around? no.

A Ferrari *could* tow your camper around if it's chassy was strong enough, believe me its engine would in all likely hood be up to the job perfectly.

There's more to towing than a powerful engine and strong chassis.  

That Ferrari probably has a differential ratio in the 1-2 range, trucks are 3-4 (mine is 3.74 to 1).  The Ferrari has a tranny gear set that's optimized for high end speed, and the engine RPM probably doesn't hit its stride until 3-5K, where trucks max out on torque below 2K.

For BZ take a look at the thrusters, that's where the hovercraft action is.  Since earlier Biometal ships didn't have forward thrusters I'd say the BZ2 thrusters are pure icing on the cake.  The mass of the ships is probably handled by whatever accelerated the BZ1 ships, with the thrusters being all extra thrust.

-Av-

ScarleTomato

the bz1 ships didnt have the thrusters? hmm cause i was gonna say the tank probably has more push since there are two thrusters on the back.

Angelwing

Taking a run-up to push things would only be most effective for ships with large amounts of mass, low acceleration/'thrust' and high top-speed (Mauler anyone?... that thing pwns at pushing)

Simply pushing things would require a large amount of thrust AND mass, otherwise you could argue that most missiles should be able to make things.. uh.. fly...

imo, a scout should be ineffective at pushing scavs initially (this includes run-ups) as it has very little mass, although as it has a large amount of thrust it could, if done for a long enough time, slowly start to accelerate the scav until it got to the top speed of the scout.
But, seeing as there arn't any runways in BZ2, I doubt that'l be happening too often.

Sabres should be a lot more effective at pushing them initially, being that they have a lot more mass than a scout and still a relatively decent acceleration, but would also be able to take 'run ups' and ram the scavs a significant enough distance to make it remotely worth it. The only disadvantage is that you're still limited to the tanks maximum speed... not that anyone can control them enough to do that anyway.

Bob the Dinosuar

Quote from: Bull DogA Ferrari *could* tow your camper around if it's chassy was strong enough, believe me its engine would in all likely hood be up to the job perfectly.

I'm no car expert, but my camper is very big, and weighs a couple of ton's

I assumed that a sport car could NOT pull my camper, but not because of the engine, it's the body

and that wasn't my point  :lol:

and don't the hovercraft in BZII have Replusor Lifts? like ships in StarWars, they float automaticly , but to move the vehicle they use thrusters

a ship i'm making is going to use a 'Gravity Drive' heh heh heh

Quote from: ScarleTomatothe tank probably has more push since there are two thrusters on the back.

yes, but the scout's single thruster, is much bigger than one of the tanks thrusters, like 2.5X

BZZERKER

Quote from: Bob the Dinosuar
Quote from: ScarleTomatothe tank probably has more push since there are two thrusters on the back.

yes, but the scout's single thruster, is much bigger than one of the tanks thrusters, like 2.5X

Size is irrelevent (to a point). Total thrust output is what matters.

The scout is much smaller and lighter than the tank so it can get away with using a "medium" thruster and still move fast. The tank, on the other hand uses 2 "small" thrusters to produce more thrust to help move the added weight. If they had used the "medium" thrusters, the tank would likely be faster but then it would also have to be a bit bigger.

Bull Dog

Quote from: AvatarThere's more to towing than a powerful engine and strong chassis.  

That Ferrari probably has a differential ratio in the 1-2 range, trucks are 3-4 (mine is 3.74 to 1).  The Ferrari has a tranny gear set that's optimized for high end speed, and the engine RPM probably doesn't hit its stride until 3-5K, where trucks max out on torque below 2K.

-Av-

Bah I forgot to mention the tranny, lol.