• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The Legions of Skaro

Started by EvolutionX, March 20, 2008, 05:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtwosheds

Those textures are the 00, glow and team color textures of that model, they work as they are intended to, but not on this one model, placing them (any texture set) on it, causes any other unit using the same texture to inherit the error. opacity, illuminosity and the ugly shinyness are all normal.
I guess I need to reconstruct.

bbb, The texture transparency function in threed does not work if you turn the lighting off, eg 255 255 255. It is as good as useless I do not use it.
use __h or h_ on frame names or a transparent texture if that does not produce the required effect. png-dxtbz2 works well for things like invisible feet except for the high detail shadows...

I do wonder if everyone else see's the horrible effects from those shadows, the models I make create ugly flat shadows standing in the air, is it my vid card? or my bodged up models? or have I missed something?

bigbadbogie

all complicated models do that
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

anomaly

On the model I recently made I noticed that screwed up shadow effect in a few places.  It only originated from areas where there were vertices very close to each other.  If possible, try moving some vertices around to spread them apart.  It worked for me.  Also, I'm pretty sure Fishbone did some research on it while he was making the dune command mod. Try asking him.

Nielk1

No one uses Stencil Shadow Mode in BZ2

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

unless they like seeing big black lines and squiggly things drawn all over the screen around ships
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

anomaly

Quote from: Nielk1 on March 24, 2008, 09:49:23 PM
No one uses Stencil Shadow Mode in BZ2
Usually only because of the shadow error but, it is possible to make units that don't cause those problems if you know what not to do.  If modders take that into account, they can make races that work quite well with shadows.

As I said, if the texture doesn't matter it's probably a material issue.  In Max I'd then try adding the model to a scene containing an object and material that doesn't cause the issue, applying the material to the trouble model, and then export that model back out of the scene again.

You could probably also cut/paste the top part of the material section from a non-troubled model to this one and see if the resulting XSI still causes the issue.

Thinking about it I suppose it could be issues with the names of the parts...  no __g, __h, __2 or that sort of thing on the end of the model part names, right?

-Av-

mrtwosheds

hmm, it does have a terminal that does is __2 sided and Not __g tranparent or __e missive.

Pasted in frame with same texture from another model and fixed issue.

Nielk1

Quote from: anomaly on March 25, 2008, 12:50:43 AM
Usually only because of the shadow error but, it is possible to make units that don't cause those problems if you know what not to do.  If modders take that into account, they can make races that work quite well with shadows.

True, but the stock 3D models have the shadow issue.

2Shed, what happens if you strip the animation so it is static in what is currently the last frame of the deploying.
It might be that the model part must be above ground in the base model and only go unit in frame 0/1 of the deploy animation. (Like how the scav's skel is in position but its deploy does not start that way)

Basically, so a battery of tests.

Click on the image...

Nielk1

Holy crap! Sheer awesome...

I was looking in the center, didn't notice

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

its was just some sort of glitchy material, I replace it and its ok now.

Holy Crap!  I was looking at the sun and didn't see that DALEK flying there...   ;)

I! CAN! FLY!
I! CAN! FLY!

EX! TER! MIN! ATE!
EX! TER! MIN! ATE!

:)

-Av-

General BlackDragon

Wow...your map's textures compare in awsomeness to spAce's....awsome.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Nielk1

I wish domes could be more complicated. I really hate it when I can't have the planet I want orbited on the side and have to put it on the bottom cause the stars only go on the top half. I normally use a sky sphere, but then I can't add other elements like a spinning sun or distant planets.

EDIT: That and eventualy domes get blurry no matter the texture size...

Click on the image...