• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

scout physics

Started by Ac/dc, June 18, 2008, 05:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtwosheds

QuoteLet's talk about making 1.3 ships feel like 1.2 ships.
Apart from the flying, warping, pushing scavs around and cheapy-exploits I can't see any massive game affecting difference.
(Not being able to "fly away" from a fight is a very big difference!)
The players who prefer 1.2 mostly have no interest in the mpi/instant side of the game, they play team strat, fast and brutal.
Some would complain if if you fixed the warping! as it has become a big part of their strategy, even though each player cannot actually see that they are doing it.
Those sticking with 1.2 have what they want, Personally I think 1.3* strat is much better than 1.2, shame its so difficult to get a game.

Nielk1

I've seen a lot more 1.3 games lately though, so keep trying. Invite new players and set them up with 1.3 as I do.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

If I had access to in this area, this thread would already been closed.  Such subject has been discussed at length in the past, no point in dwelling...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Red Devil

Here's a link to my latest 1.2-like DM Drone.  Please give it a whirl and give some feedback, please.

http://files.filefront.com/fvscoutdmzip/;10713818;/fileinfo.html
What box???

Red Devil

What box???

General BlackDragon

ZA, The major problem is exactly what you said, basically.

People are stubborn.

However, I do not like the kind of 1.2 players who either A: won't even try it because of what their friends say, or B: Play for 5 minutes and quit without really trying to get used to it.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Feared_1

Remember: this is about the option, not whether it's an exploit or not. Like ZA said, this has already been established. Read the first (few) post(s), and state your opinion about it. Don't turn this into an evil argument again. I want people to talk, not argue.

Red Devil

Someone try out those DM ships I posted and let me know what you think about the physics.
What box???

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

shane ward

Battlezone is unique in a way that there are strange and intresting Bugs that people can use to make a on-line game more intresting. It is true that taking them away can make the game less intresting, and more challenging.

As for the flying bug that keeps popping up one solution to this would be to have a Option in the multiplier setup window to allow "flying" or "Hovering" for players that like this sort of stuff or to turn it off. I agree that some bugs like turrets in pools cannot happen in real life. Also some other bugs that I do not know off, could have the option to enable them if the Server that started the game chooses to.

I know it is a taboo subject that keeps dividing the community, but at the end of the day we all bought the game and love it. So why not give people the choice to do what they want and keep everybody happy all around and not restrict them.

People should be given a choice, I agree.. But at the end of the day, people can choose to stick with bz 1.1 1.2 1.3. Why not add all the (Selectable) options that people like into 1.5

I cannot post this in the other form.... Don't want to keep registering too many forms eather....

Shane
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

Ac/dc

Quote from: General BlackDragon on June 19, 2008, 09:34:35 AM
Stop this stupid arguing and play BOTH.

most of us already do

what about those who want the pb4 fixes as well as the ability to fly? thats what most poeple want

Hmmm, just looked up 'stubborn' in the dictionary and darned if there wasn't a picture of RD in there...  :evil:

Quotewhat about those who want the pb4 fixes as well as the ability to fly? thats what most people want

Well DUH...   sorry, it's early and I haven't had any coffee yet.

Everyone knows that, but none of us have the right to DEMAND anything from Ken and Nathan, who gave us an incredible amount of work for free.  The patch is their work, given freely, and only they have the ability to add or remove things from it.

In the end a heck of a lot of support went into the patch in favor of 1.2 players whether they acknowledge it or not.  It could have been even better had those that were in the private beta group toughed out the earlier phases and remained to help with physics and balance, but as it is there's almost nothing out of reach of a halfway decent modder.  I'm certain that with good, attitude free feedback someone like Commando could easily make a Recy variant that was very very very (...) very very close to 1.2.  :)

-Av-

bigbadbogie

If they really love 'flying' so much - why not use bloody aircraft??  :wink:

or even better - 0 gravity!!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Commando

0 gravity is a bad substitute because you have a hard time returning to the ground.  Flying becomes easy, but landing doesn't.

Can an aircraft be made to handle like a scout?  Aircraft would again make flying too easy for the vets and that would upset them.

They like flying because it takes skill to successfully pull off.  Not any newb can pick a scout then start flying around the map.

Actually in 1.2 any newb COULD just hop in a scout and fly all over the map.  It's CONTROLLED hovering that takes skill, and even more skill to actually hurt something while doing so.

I like to use Tribes as an example...  in Tribes it was 'skiing' that was the equivalent of BZ2 'flying'.

The first time several Heavies came skiing over a hill and landed on top of our base I thought WTF???   After learning to do it myself I admit it was fun but it ruined the game for me.  Nobody ever used aircraft or even bothered to work together, as many matches just became a ton of Heavies skiing right in the front door of your base.

So the Dev team removed it almost completely for Tribes2, to be met with massive whining by those that loved to ski.  They put it back in, toned down a bit, but after a period of adjustment everyone was skiing around Heavy again.

Yet another case of a game, the gameplay of which is so clear in the minds of the Devs, being taken in another direction by the Players.  I personally wish the Devs had just said "It's a bug, it's gone, deal with it.", but those like me that thought so were a VERY small minority in Tribes.

The situation worsens for a game like BZ2, where the player base is made up of a few, mentally unbalanced and rabidly protective fans.   :)

-Av-