• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

scout physics

Started by Ac/dc, June 18, 2008, 05:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ac/dc

Firstly, i'd like to thank and commend all who contributed to the making of PB4. It has come to much people's attention that there is much division among the people who prefere the the newer, bugfixed scout physics and those who's preference is the classic 1.2 physics.

I am not here to state an opinion of which is better. However this is an extremely important issue and should be resolved.

The issue is that the players are being divided between two patches. this means, that on each patch there are less people to play with, and would contribute to the downfall of bz2.

The solution i am proposing is that in the shell, the server should have the option of either using the classic scout physics or the modernized physics.

Ive heard that if this was to be, alot of the physics would have to be redone. I understand that all the pb4 developers have already put in a magnificent effort into pb4, however, this propisition would end the division of 1.2 and 1.3. With the option to allow the flying bug by the server, bz2 would be more populated and to an extent, slow the downfall.

lucky_foot

Hey!

Welcome to BZU. :)

Please dont' take anything I say as an attack against you or anyone, but this whole subject has been brought up multiple times and their doesn't seem to be any compromise. I've been hear for five years and tried my hand at resolving the issue. I think everybody has tried at one point or another.

It really comes down to who likes the 1.2 physics and who like the 1.3 physics. There are even some who don't like the exploits in 1.2, but don't like the changes in 1.3 so they stick to 1.2.

It's really to the point now that their are two sub-communities here in BZland and since we can't make them like one patch or the other I've tried to make them both acceptable. :) I mean, I personally have both patches installed and play both when I get the time.

With the Battlezone magazine I make sure both get equal attention.

Now, after my rant, I should answer your question. I believe in 1.3 there is a recycler variant that mimics 1.2 physics. I believe (don't quote me) that some of the 1.2 physics have been re-enabled but need an ODF entry to make them available. They are not on by default. Two to one, someone more knowledgeable will give you a good answer. :)

Again, nice having you here!

Don't forget to check out:

www.bz2md.com
www.timedisruptor.com
www.bz2maps.com
www.overminddl1.com/forum
www.bzcomplex.com/

Jonathan S.

General BlackDragon

I think someone can make a recycler varient with 1.2 ish style scouts that do hover LONGER and HIGHER, but I am not sure if GSH will actually add a toddle to be able to use the entirety of 1.2 physics.

One can only hope though :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Warfreak

Didn't he try to incorperate all of 1.2 physics before and end up breaking the entire build last time?

General BlackDragon

his most recent attempt seems to work good. just not flying...

Commando

The broken physics was the result of merging 1.2 and 1.3's physics into one.  The current implementation makes them separate and independent.

I agree with you AC/DC.  I would like to see the option, even if no asset was included in 1.3 forcing modders to add it in an unofficial mod. 

General BlackDragon

Quote from: Commando on June 18, 2008, 08:41:37 AM
even if no asset was included in 1.3 forcing modders to add it in an unofficial mod. 

Would probably be known as ZST Mega Map Pack 4

With a seperate recycler varient in it.

:) can be made totally compatible with stock.

Commando

I just ask that everyone remains calm in this thread and that no person attacks are made.

Commando

Yeah, even if it was an unofficial mod that had to be downloaded seperately, I would be willing to make the recycler variant.

Red Devil

What box???

Feared_1

10 posts and no fighting yet! :-D Lets keep it peaceful. Maybe someone will at least read it if this stays under control.

My personal view:
I would like to see this as an option, just to get people to try 1.3 and have a look at a few of the new features and bug fixes. I talked to some 1.2 vets and a few refused to even TRY it. They explained to me that without the ability to hover, the patch is simply not worth the effort. Stubborn? Yes, but one can understand this, as that is the way they have played for a long long LONG time.

For some people, change is good. Others want the option. This is why a setting (default to off) in the shell that brings back 1.2 physics would be nice. Everyone gets what they want to some extent.

Red Devil

Nope, it's a bona fide bug that gives players who use it an unfair advantage over those who don't. 

Having said that, they're more than welcome to use it in their own 1.2 games.

Me, I choose 1.3.
What box???

Commando

I don't see an issue with it being added as an option as long as the recycler variant isn't included in pb whatever.

As of right now, there are 6 1.2 games and 2 1.3 games.  You do the match.  For every 3 1.2 games, there is only 1 1.3 game.  That isn't even counting all of the players on 1.2.  That is only taking into consideration the number of servers.

Red Devil

What box???

Zero Angel

Yeah and right now isnt exactly the best indicator, players can stick to 1.3 or they'll go back to 1.2 over the course of time. Personally, i'm starting to enjoy 1.3 enough to play it more often, though 1.2 is still the patch of choice simply because everyone else is using this (oh, and flying is always fun). Some of the more stubborn vets can be convinced over the course of time to try out PB4, if there is enough servers up and 1.2 just happens to be going through a slow phase. Many will just stick to 1.2 if they can help it. At any rate, PB4 looks to be much more popular with even 1.2 vets than PB3 was. With toggleable 1.2 physics, the entire community i'm sure, will gradually transition over to 1.3. If 1.3 physics are deemed superior, then they will also be transitioned to over the course of time.

Quote from: lucky_foot on June 18, 2008, 07:06:49 AMNow, after my rant, I should answer your question. I believe in 1.3 there is a recycler variant that mimics 1.2 physics. I believe (don't quote me) that some of the 1.2 physics have been re-enabled but need an ODF entry to make them available. They are not on by default. Two to one, someone more knowledgeable will give you a good answer. :)
"Commando's 1.2 Recycler Variant" is supposed to be able to make units which have the same 'feel' as their 1.2 equivalents. I tried it, and it works really good, units are really responsive on the ground. Of course the air physics still feel different since the 1.3 physic causes thrusters to shut off when the unit is in the air.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression