• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Fix: Lockrange

Started by Steeveeo, August 17, 2008, 12:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeveeo

I found a line in the modlog:

[ThermalMissileClass]
lockRange = lifeSpan * velocForward     // homing lock-on range

Im guessing since the changelog has lifespan * velocForward as the value, is that its the default when undefined, however, changing this to lockrange = 10, does nothing at all, the missiles still lock on to the forward enemy pools (large heatsource), which should be way out of range of the 10m lockrange. My missiles that Im toying with should shoot straight up with a wide variance then come screaming back down onto the target. Instead, when there's a larger heatsource ANYWHERE on the field, it goes for it instead...

Is the lockrange a multiplier or a value? IE, does putting lockrange = 10 mean lockrange of 10 meters or lockrange = (lifespan * velocforward) * 10?

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Steeveeo

Just ran a test to see if its a working feature at all.

I set to lockrange = 0.

If its a multiplier, it should multiply by 0 and never lock.

If its a range value in meters, it still should never lock because nothing would get within 0 meters of it without it blowing up.

Ran it, and they still beelined for the front pools...

Can someone fix this feature please?

Steeveeo

Nother test, tweaking the lifespan and velocforward values to reach the proper distance (350m) still doesnt prevent the missiles from tracking something 450 and 500m, which is well out of range...

Im guessing its a botched code in the ThermalMissileClass, definitely something for the PB4 team to look into if there is going to be a PB4b (most likely).

General BlackDragon

it has to do with the missile's auto targeting thing. Coneangle and lockrange should both effect this. as well as object's heatsignature

*****General BlackDragon*****

Commando

GBD, even stock FAF missiles suffer from this.  Play IA Firestorm and you will see this issue near your second pool.  The missile will go straight into the ground instead of going to the two turrets guarding it.

General BlackDragon

ya but there was a flag put in to prevent that.

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

Quote from: General BlackDragon on August 17, 2008, 01:12:17 PM
ya but there was a flag put in to prevent that.
Which was lockrange, but it doesnt work.

Nielk1

Do a test with FAFs maybe, see if they turn. It might be its effects missiles without target instead of missiles with targets from launchers.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

try reducing the missiles own coneangle maybe? and using the avoid flags added in...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Devil

lockRange works fine.  lockRange is the range within which it can get a lock.  Try setting it to 50 and firing a FAF at something 120m away.  It will get a lock and turn towards the target when/if it is within 50m.

The default seems to be large, so I'm uploading a fix to Mantis.
What box???

Nielk1

I thought FAFs were acting funny.

Click on the image...

Red Devil

The fix includes Stinger, Hornet, and FAF.
What box???

Red Devil

Hmmmm....while I'm at it, should I add the terrain avoidance features to them?
What box???

Nielk1

Click on the image...

Steeveeo

Quote from: Red Devil on August 18, 2008, 05:50:07 PM
lockRange works fine.  lockRange is the range within which it can get a lock.  Try setting it to 50 and firing a FAF at something 120m away.  It will get a lock and turn towards the target when/if it is within 50m.

The default seems to be large, so I'm uploading a fix to Mantis.
Did you read my tests? Setting to 10 meters still had them lockon to an object 500 meters away, setting to 0 STILL locked onto the object 500 meters away!