• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

1.2 Exploits Library

Started by AHadley, March 04, 2009, 12:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Quote from: Zero Angel on March 04, 2009, 04:35:02 PM

Turret Humping

Since humping a turret allows one to continuously stay outside of its firing zone, most people use another turret to counter this exploit. Placing turrets no further than 140m apart will prevent a single turret from being humped -- as they will both cover each other.

Turret Humping just pisses me off. And I had someone do it and get INSIDE the collision box so the other 2/3 turrets were hitting the first one instead of the guy. GOD I HATE THAT. Why I don't touch 1.2 anymore.

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

Quote from: AcneVulgaris on March 04, 2009, 04:57:44 PM
The pummel rush is probably one of the most fun things about the game....it's usually done when you're losing, and works when your opponent has spent too little on defense.  The period of time between the decision to pum rush and the result is really suspenseful, and trying to find a safe spot to snuggle up to the rec is a veritable panic.

Yea when i'm commanding and realize that i'm getting pumm rushed my HOLYCRAP-O-METER goes to 11. Whether you're on the rushing or getting rushed end of a pummel rush, your adrenaline is going nuts because pummel rushes are so fast and brutal. The rushing team tries their absolute hardest to rapidly squeeze out as much damage as possible (countless rushes have failed when the rec was at less than 5% health). Someone should make a FRAPS video of their recycler getting rec rushed. It really is quite intense.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Zero Angel

Quote from: Nielk1 on March 04, 2009, 05:06:16 PM
Turret Humping just pisses me off. And I had someone do it and get INSIDE the collision box so the other 2/3 turrets were hitting the first one instead of the guy. GOD I HATE THAT. Why I don't touch 1.2 anymore.
That's odd, i've never seen someone go inside of the collision sphere of a turret. Its possible for 1/3 of their ship to go inside of one but that still leaves plenty of hittable area. Also turrets shooting at each other isnt a problem since AI units cannot damage each other by means of friendly fire.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

Nielk1

Quote from: Zero Angel on March 04, 2009, 05:13:15 PM
That's odd, i've never seen someone go inside of the collision sphere of a turret. Its possible for 1/3 of their ship to go inside of one but that still leaves plenty of hittable area. Also turrets shooting at each other isnt a problem since AI units cannot damage each other by means of friendly fire.

I know they don't hurt each other, but if they do 0 damage to the enemy, its just as bad.

--

The other thing I don't like is what flying has done to the game now that it is used as it is. Watch the youtube videos, its 2 ppl dog fighting the whole damn game. If they ever manage to get a full base everything has 2 health, there is no scrap, and all the scavs are dead because the opponent just flew over everything and blasted it to hell.

Flying makes BZ2 like another generic FPS. What do you do? You jump around like a maniac shooting the other person fighting for control points (pools) placing auto defenses (turrets and scouts) defending your key end all home base item (Recycler). Literally HUNDREDS of games like that.

Where is the RTS?
Where are the flanking?
Where are the pincer movements?
WHERE IS THE THINKING?!

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

Hah, BZ2 is far from a generic FPS -- flying or not. I have to use my brains very much while playing BZ2. When your commanding its all about insight, you have to know everything thats happening on the field and develop strategies to counter any problems that arise and any contingencies.

That video you saw was probably that 1v1 battle of Sly vs BB. Those two guys went for a 'no defense' strategy in which they both teched up as fast as possible and hit each others bases as hard as possible. Thats not representative of anything but that particular match and their playing styles (they both have a highly offensive playing style). I think though that BB was sending turrets to nav points while hitting bases. That guy does an amazing job at using feints and misdirection on the 1v1's i've played with him.

As far as flanking and pincer attacks go, the entire battlefield is more mobile and changable than that since each player is such a dynamic entity. In the match I mentioned previously on this thread our team focused attack on one emplacement enabling the enemy team to use our distraction to take another key sector of the field (2 upgraded pools) seconds before attempting to finish us off with a pummel rush. In fact my lead wingman was asking for assault units so he could concentrate them on the front line offense to the northeast, while I directed the defensive strategy to the southwest.

In a 4v4 the human players are key to victory or defeat since they possess unique personalities and playing styles, yet the commander is still the most important member of the team since he directs their overall goals and enables them to perform well, as well he directs the defensive and building strategy. The strategy here is not like one which you'd utilize in a turn based strategy or even a full-on RTS but it is more dynamic and fast changing than that -- you may not be able to control the nature of your team as much as you would a generic AI unit, but still you must take their dispositions into account and use them to your advantage wherever possible.
{bac}Zero Angel

Sonic

Just a comment but would the Chat String Crash be considered an exploit of sorts? I don't think there is really any defense other than recording the IP of the suspected player and keeping them out of your games. But I think its worth mentioning as you can have a few individuals who aren't happy with the game so they just crash it.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

TheJamsh

Lol BBB. yes i am a little full of it...

This is why im glad i didn't hit the multi-button ever in 1.2... Even so, i still wish i had experience of some of these games that ZA has been in.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Tempest Storm

First off, I really have to admit that ZA has to be the most inspiring 1.2 player that I have ever known. :-D

At the topic on hand though; my 1.2 MP time was severely limited and I was never really any good at it, although the few games that I had played with ZA, TV, and the RIP guys had to be some of the most intense multiplayer I have ever experience in any game, period. (Although I do have to admit I have been finding some games that do apply a similar rush in a not so similar fashion these days) A lot of people on this forum in particular frown on a lot of how 1.2 MP is played, but in the end without those completely grotesque exploits present in 1.2 (Those of which that have been motioned as strictly prohibited in games) the classic 1.2 vet strat is a completely different field of BZ2 gameplay in its own.

I find myself coming back to BZ2 now and then to have some fun here and there and while the general way of play in an IA or MPI is fun and nostalgic I find myself quiting before I finish the game out of boredom, by the time a few attacks have gone by and I've maxed out the tech tree it just doesn't feel like there is much more left to enjoy. 1v1 doesn't really peak my interest too much either, it just doesn't have the feel of a full on 4v4 ST match.

Personally in a full team strat game I feel like the rush is absolutely incredible. It still retains most of the common gameplay although there are bounds where certain things will just not fly. Alot of overly complex strategies involving alot of AI units tend to not work well since you have 4 human players on the opposing faction that can easily hinder your well thought out as well as expensive plan. Decisions have to be made promptly and carefully as commander, and being able to adapt to the situation correctly will make or break victory for your team.

Meanwhile playing as a thug is nothing short of a constant rush; You yourself are able to tip the battle in such a manner that you can become a massive force of destruction and harassment for the opposition or an ultimate hindrance for your team. Your teammates are no exception to the rule either, and it is critical to be able to be decisive in when to assist them and when you alone can be the best support for your team. The Synergy that can be created in a team strategy match is absolutely amazing and irreplaceable.

In some cases it very well can be seen that some 1.2 exploits turn BZ2 into just a generic shooter game, but IMHO it depends on the situation and the game played. As far as 4v4 goes, generic shooter is probably one of the last things I would describe it as. Once you have 8 human players factored into the two teams it creates a battlefield where something conventional that may work out in your 1v1 or your MPI just won't serve its purpose. As a player in a 4v4 you have to use different tactics and strategies to overcome the addition of the other players. When all of these things come together and are played out correctly I think that is personally when BZ2 MP shines at its brightest. IMO its probably why these days the 'vet strat' game is such a closely guarded s...(Completely inside joke for Sonic here) 'ritual' so to say. It can be such a rare encounter to have a game that runs with the synergy that really puts the game at its full potential that preservation of a 4v4 with equally skilled players and balanced teams can become critical.

Mind you I haven't played a team strat in well over 4 or 5 years now, but when it comes to BZ things mostly tend not to change. :P

Just my 2 cents. ;)

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Tempest Storm on March 05, 2009, 03:17:55 AM
but in the end without those completely grotesque exploits present in 1.2 (Those of which that have been motioned as strictly prohibited in games)

What the hell? If they can't use the exploits then why do they still play 1.2?

1.3 is far less buggy in MP.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Tempest Storm

I'm talking about the previously mentioned exploits such as:

QuoteTurrets in buildings - NEVER ALLOWED
Changing weapons to anything - NEVER ALLOWED
Human Mortar Bikes -- too warpy and hard to hit -- never allowed
Multi Bombing -- causes bomber to drop bomb on two different targets -- never allowed
etc. and so forth

Generally the reason why when you want to have a good game, you don't just pull some guy off of the side of the road and have him join up. :P

Sure 1.3 is alot less buggy in MP, but it lacks the playerbase currently to support the kind of games that I have found most fun when playing 1.2. 1.3 is alot of fun to play and I have found a few games here and there but its generally discouraging to see a locked game with only two people in it or a few MPIs and FFA STs up in the game list.

I suppose however, that it follows the same idea I mentioned in my previous post. BZ2 players tend to enjoy differing gamemodes and will lock their games most of the time to ensure that their gamemode of choice isn't ruined by some random jerk, in the same way that vets will play games with known players to avoid those that wish to ruin those games.

Honestly, what difference does it make aside from a matter of preference as to which version you play when you play in a controled environment?

bigbadbogie

I find it utterly disrespectful to the 1.3 patch makers who have dedicated a downright astonishing amount of time to the project, seeing people only playing 1.2 just because they enjoy screwing around with old bugs. The 1.2 community is a group of hackers and cheaters. And I will not back down from that claim regardless of how people try to justify them.

I enjoy a good match too. But only with the purity of play which is 1.3. :)
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Axeminister

Quote from: Sonic on March 04, 2009, 09:07:37 PM
Just a comment but would the Chat String Crash be considered an exploit of sorts? I don't think there is really any defense other than recording the IP of the suspected player and keeping them out of your games. But I think its worth mentioning as you can have a few individuals who aren't happy with the game so they just crash it.

I am 99% a MPI Commander, I love mpi, mostly G66. The 1.2 G66 is very fun and makes for a great game, but with regard to what Sonic is talking about, the av bug is the single main reason why I don't like to play 1.2 G66 anymore. Because people who are looking for me to put up a strat instead of a mpi will av the game, this happens so much it is really annoying. I could really rant about this, but it'll probably come down to maturity. Everytime someone comes into one of my mpi's and just sits there, I know what they are doing. They're activating the av bug. I'm usually busy and don't notice them inactive, but I have sometimes kicked people for just sitting there. Which inturn causes them to come back another time and av me. The whole thing is messed up cause I really like the G66 maps. We play them with the internet off over lan, but that's it.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Zero Angel

Quote from: bigbadbogie on March 05, 2009, 04:38:04 AM
I find it utterly disrespectful to the 1.3 patch makers who have dedicated a downright astonishing amount of time to the project, seeing people only playing 1.2 just because they enjoy screwing around with old bugs. The 1.2 community is a group of hackers and cheaters. And I will not back down from that claim regardless of how people try to justify them.

I enjoy a good match too. But only with the purity of play which is 1.3. :)
You're entitled to your own opinion. It's not going to change anything though, because people will still do the things they enjoy.

And as far as AVing goes, it happens once in awhile. I have 3 IP ranges banned on my router because these people have AV'd my server. I doubt that i'll be unbanning them at any time since these people are known trouble makers in the 1.2 community.
{bac}Zero Angel

Steeveeo

I think a 1.2B version would be good, something that just fixes that damned chatline crash that seemingly everyone but me knows...

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

AHadley

I knew nothing about any of these exploits, much less how to use them :lol:
I began the topic out of sheer confusion...