• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Aliens, exist or not?

Started by cheesepuffly, August 02, 2009, 12:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtwosheds

Judging Humans to be clever because they do the sort of things Humans do, and every other being as dumb because they don't, is not intelligent its just smug.
Was ww1 Intelligent? ww2? Atomic bombs? Humans are a recent mutation, if you define intelligence as something only humans have, then clearly you are right, but it isn't.

@Anyone who ACTUALLY thinks it's just Humans "killing" the planet... We weren't around as long as the other lifeforms of Earth. When we hit the scene, it was already "dying". Put the pieces together.
Hmm, no. It was doing perfectly well until about the beginning of the 20th century.

Feared_1

I agree with BBB. Maybe there are dinosaurs or some furry critters on distant planets, but no intelligent life (at least not intelligent enough to visit us).

bigbadbogie

QuoteJudging Humans to be clever because they do the sort of things Humans do, and every other being as dumb because they don't, is not intelligent its just smug.
Was ww1 Intelligent? ww2? Atomic bombs? Humans are a recent mutation, if you define intelligence as something only humans have, then clearly you are right, but it isn't.

It's not about what we choose to do. It's about what we are capable of doing.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

cheesepuffly

Quote from: bigbadbogie on August 02, 2009, 08:16:11 PM
It's not about what we choose to do. It's about what we are capable of doing.

I'm capable of killing you right now, but i don't choose to.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

cheesepuffly

I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

mrtwosheds

QuoteI agree with BBB. Maybe there are dinosaurs or some furry critters on distant planets, but no intelligent life (at least not intelligent enough to visit us
But why do you think this? you have no evidence at all and no rational reason for thinking that might be the case. We are not "intelligent" enough to visit them yet and the way things are going here, probably never will be.
The simple explanation is that we have developed a self obsessed sense of superiority over all the other beings on our planet, and have defined Intelligence as something that is uniquely Human. If we did meet Aliens we would probably refuse to accept their Intelligence unless they behaved just like us.
As a species we have completely failed to learn even one "language" used by another species on this planet, we say its because they don't have any, but clearly they do communicate...
On some levels we are very smart, but on others we are very stupid.
I have often thought that if aliens did visit our planet, they would take one look at us and decide that attempting to communicate would be futile and very dangerous.

Feared_1

Quote from: mrtwosheds on August 03, 2009, 06:38:36 AM
But why do you think this? you have no evidence at all and no rational reason for thinking that might be the case. We are not "intelligent" enough to visit them yet and the way things are going here, probably never will be.

I have no evidence or rational reason to think otherwise. "Some people saw 'em" doesn't make any difference.

Quote from: mrtwosheds on August 03, 2009, 06:38:36 AMOn some levels we are very smart, but on others we are very stupid.
I have often thought that if aliens did visit our planet, they would take one look at us and decide that attempting to communicate would be futile and very dangerous.

Two humans communicating with each other is very dangerous these days :/

mrtwosheds

QuoteI have no evidence or rational reason to think otherwise.
To assume that there are none without evidence is rational. But to think there may be only dumb ones is not.

cheesepuffly

I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Warfreak

he forgot the "/", jeez. :roll:

Mr X

http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

mrtwosheds

QuoteI dont really honestly think your right >.>.
Yes you do. You believe In a supreme being, who lives in another dimension, or something.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: mrtwosheds on August 03, 2009, 04:56:53 PM
Yes you do. You believe In a supreme being, who lives in another dimension, or something.

You had (think assume) which was  not proper english. I was  making fun of that. Was not commenting on your point.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Feared_1

No one has hard evidence. That is a fact, not an assumption.

SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE!!